network can't share winxp resources with win98

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

ekoren

Hello,
I have a small office network that includes 3 win98 machines and one portable winxp home machine. everything works well, except for file and printer sharing of the xp, and of the other machines from it. it only connects to the internet, but the win98 machines can see only each other for sharing purposes, and the xp machine can only see itself(they do have the same workgroup name, though).
The network specifications are the following:
An Alcatel ADSL modem, connected to a ZyXel router, connected to the hub, that connects to all 4 machines.
I did all of these connections "by the book" using the home network wizard, setup disks, etc., and it never pointed any problem during the process.
There's also mcafee firewall installed on those machines, but since i tried to solve this out, it's completely disabled.
Any idea how can I make the sharing work?

tnx
ekoren

ekoren:

This particular answer costs me $35, MS Tech Support, 7hrs of Support. And after getting to the second twice (different days), IT Worked! : )

On the XP System change the "DhcpNodeType" to "4" (Mixed).

Probably currently set at "2".

This setting is located in the registry key:

1. For W2K/XP, go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Netbt\Parameters

2. Change the "DhcpNodeType" parameter to "4".

3. Restart the XP system.

4. Check your entry by running "Start" Run" "CMD"

Type "ipconfig /all", Node Type displayed at top group should state "mixed".

the e-man
EmTech Computer Services
http://www.emtech-cs.com

Attachments

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online