1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Network card broken??

Discussion in 'Networking' started by kheinecken, Aug 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kheinecken

kheinecken Thread Starter

Hi -- in the last 2 days, I am unable to connect to my router with the network cable. on plugging the cable in, it gets an IP as it shows up in IPCONFIG. The router table does NOT show the connection though. The wireless connection works fine, both getting IP and showing up in the router. I haven't changed anything major. Any ideas

2. Sponsor

3. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Try swapping with a known working network card, cable and port on the router. Any of these could be defective.

4. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

power outage/brownout?

5. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Sounds like the router and computer work fine since you can connect wireless. Is that correct?

6. kheinecken

Hi -- the router appears to function fine.. there is a desktop connected through ethernet cable that works fine. using that cable still yields no results. Using a completely different router at different site still doesn't work. Wireless works fine on this laptop through either router. As far as brownouts, we are running a UPS but on inherently unstable power at a construction site. This is a laptop so i think the battery should mitigate power browns.

thanks for any help

7. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

So have you tried swapping with a known working network card?

8. kheinecken

well, as its a laptop, I don't have access to a spare network card nor do I know how to swap them out. I suppose I could try to get a hold of a card that plugs into the card slot if such a thing is made still. But, the desktop is also attached and its network card is working fine. I've been hoping this was some type of software issue. I noticed that the network card had the windows firewall 'on' while the wireless didn't. but, changing that to off made no difference..
    thanks again

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/386823

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice