1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Network Card Checkup

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Mary H, Sep 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mary H

Mary H Thread Starter

Hi,

I have a Toshiba Satellite 1800 laptop with a built in network card - Win XP Home

My router is a Microsoft MN-700 - everything is currently using ethernet cables

Our internet connection is DSL

Our IBM desktop has XP Pro and connects to the router with no problem. Our daughter's Sony desktop XP Home connects to the router with no problem.

The laptop has a problem. It cannot find the base station, so I cannot connect to the internet.

I have uninstalled the network card and reinstalled it. I have tried creating a network connection without using the MS utility. I have tried setting up the connection with using the utility station. MAC is not checked in the broadband file. I have had the enable check box under authentication turned on and turned off. The firewall is turned off. I am using a CAT 5E cable. If I use the network settings that I save from the desktop then it causes the LAN connection to disconnect even though it is still plugged in.

I have just done a factory reinstall on the laptop. The lights are working on both the router and on the laptop to show a connection. I have changed router ports.

I have searched the router's site for help and I am stuck.

Thanks for any help anyone can give me.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Could it be a defective NIC? Just because the light are on, you could still have the situation that nobody's home. :)

3. Mary H

Mary H Thread Starter

There is that possibility although the device claims to be functioning correctly. Now for a dumb question. How do I change the built in network card in the laptop? I can take a desktop apart while my hubby looks on in amazement - but I can't figure out how to - or if I should - do upgrades on the laptop.

4. Mary H

Mary H Thread Starter

Hi,

I have a built in network card on my toshiba 1800 laptop. How can I check to see if it is malfunctioning?

I don't want to replace it only to discover that the conflict between it and my router is still not resolved.

Under the device properties it says "device working properly". I have the lights that are to indicate a working card. My computer shows that the LAN connection is enabled.

5. brucedl

brucedl

What is the "conflict" between it and your router? Is there an error message that leads you to this determination?

6. Mary H

Mary H Thread Starter

I wrote out all the info regarding the networking problem under the networking section and someone suggested the problem could be a dead NIC so I want to know if I can check this before I start spending more money - hence the post in the hardware section.
    Original post is "MN-700 & laptop connection problems" under networking

7. brucedl

brucedl

Not sure what is easier for you...trying another router (even though you know the router is "good," it might be the router's problem in dealing with the nic)...or trying another nic. I'd assume that you can disable the built in nic in the bios of the Toshiba though.

What about trying to plug the toshiba directly into your DSL modem? Then you would know if the nic was bad, after you configured it to access your DSL directly.

8. Mary H

Mary H Thread Starter

It wouldn't configure the DSL modem either, so I guess I have found the guilty party.

Thanks

9. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi and welcome....one more reason not to duplicate post.

I will merge both threads so we aren't running in circles.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/271605

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice