Network card driver - reinstalling/updating?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

sparkle80

I'm not sure this is the correct section for this question. If not I apologize. I just got a new modem to use to internet on multiple computers. I got the wireless Dell laptop hooked up to the internet with no problem. But I have been unable to get a internet connection for the desktop. I get some error message regarding the computer trying to find the IP address but it's unable to do so. I called my internet service provider and the guy, who use to work with Dell (the computer I have is Dell Dimension 2400) and he said I may need to update or reinstall my "network card driver". And that Dell should be able to help me through this. Or I could get a wireless card to use for the desktop computer.

I also should mentioned that originally, when I had the regular modem, the installtion desk from my internet service, prompted me to use Ethernet cord. So I was using that at first. I had a problem with internet explorer (which I eventually resolved myself by uninstalling McAfee) and I think it was the Bell South customer service rep that had me switch from Ethernet to USB. Since then I have experienced connectivity problems, even though I have DSL. I tried to reconnect it to the Ethernet card before but Dell and Bell South could not help. So I just went back to using the USB. But unfortunately this wireless modem only has a Ethernet outlet.

I guess my question is, is there anyway I can update or reinstall the driver on my own? I'm asking because I called Dell but they told me my telephone assistance service was expired and I would have to pay for their help. But I wanted to see if I could figure it out myself or are there any other options I may try before I go ahead and pay money for the card or for Dell's help. Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions you may have.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Let's figure out what you have first. Plug the cable into the computer and the router and reboot the computer. Then do this:

Start, Run, CMD to open a DOS window:

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
Paste the results in a message here.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online