network card error from winipcfg

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

JrGroPup

I have an Intel MB Pentium II 266 running Win98 se. After installing a plug-n-play 3com PCI network card to connect to my Router for broadband internet connection, I could not get online (this page cannot be accessed). Then when I ran the winipcfg utility I got an error message "Fatal Error cannot read IP config". The leds on the card were on and the card is installed in Device Manager where it indicates all is well! I also got the same results with an SMC PCI net card and If I change its IRQ channel from 10 to 4. I also tried disableing PnP in the Bios without any effect. Help!!

Byteman

Gone but Never Forgotten
Hi, You may need some help from your ISP with setting a static IP address- some use dynamic addresses which will confuse your networking. If your settings have worked before with the same ISP and router, there may be only a Protocol missing or you may have some checked in Network that you should not have.
Probably your easiest fix is to go through tech support number for ISP, they can usually detect problems very easily.

JrGroPup

I have 2 other computers on the router which work fine, so it's not an ISP problem. I've made all of the network settings (IP, DNS etc) the same as the two that are working. All are using Win98 se. One has an identical net card. I'm at a loss as to what to try next Thanks for the reply.

In Net. Neighborhood, under Identification----is the Workgroup named the same as the other computers?

Just a thought.

Spaceman

JrGroPup

Thanks for the idea. It had the same name, WORKGROUP, but in lower case letters. I don't think that makes a difference, but I corrected it anyway and it had no effect after rebooting. Thanks for trying.

Which version of Internet Explorer are you using on this computer??

Sounding more like a Winsock problem and the IE Repair Tool should fix that.

Spaceman

Control Panel / ADD_REMOVE Programs / click on IE 5.0 and Internet Tools / click on REMOVE / a menu should appear offering you 3 choices: Choose Repair IE 5.0.

Jeez, I hope it's there and available for 5.0--I honestly don't remember about that version of IE.

One other place to look will be: Start / Programs / Accessories / System Tools / System Information / click on TOOLS at the top of the page and see if Internet Repair Tool is in the list. If so, you can click on it to run.

Spaceman

JrGroPup

Spaceman,
The repair tool isn't in either location that you suggest. Any other ideas?

Jr

Byteman

Gone but Never Forgotten
Yes- you could download from one of the other networked pcs and move the download over to affected computer and install from that one, no need for Internet on that to install IE 5.5, or 6.0 (better) DO the winsock update as well, now.
(IE is a 2.5 hour download on a regular dialup I hope you have high speed connection)

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
I'd suggest that you go into Device Manager, and delete the board, power down and remove it, and reboot. Make sure everything is fine in Device Manager. Shutdown and reinstall the board and install the drivers.

If you haven't done so, go to 3COM and download the latest drivers for your board before the reinstall phase.

JrGroPup

SM,

I did the search you suggested and found:
winsock.dll 21 Kb 3/12/99 in the Windows directory.
Needs updating?? I'm downloading the IE 6.0 installation files now. Is the Winsock update a separate download?

Jr

JrGroPup

johnwill,

I have done as you suggest already at least twice, but not with the latest driver. Device manager tells me the card is working fine?! I'll check for a newer driver. Thanks for the suggestion.

Jr

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online