1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Network Card Getting Wrong IP Assigned

Discussion in 'Networking' started by BratDawg, Mar 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BratDawg

BratDawg Thread Starter

First Name:
    Carla
    We have a 10/100 wired Lan run thru a hub and are using a linksys router/hub and cards. Suddenly, for no apparent reason, one computer has stopped being able to access the network.

After removing and reinstalling all network adapters with no success, I ran winipcfg. It shows only one thing - PCI Bus Master - with an IP address of 169.254.108.32. Our network runs on the 192.168.0.0 range of numbers. All cards are set to obtain ip automatically and use the tcp/ip protocol. I could not seem to release and renew and I could not find a drop down option for any network adapter.

The motherboard installs onboard sound and lan drivers which show up in the system device manager and network panel. Sound definitely doesn't work and we disabled it and put in a pci sound card some time ago. I also see a lan adapter there but there is no port for it. We installed a linksys pci adapter card which also showed up. Both seem to want irq 11. I disabled the onboard one since it doesn't seem to be doing anything anyway.

I've run norton internet security and came up only with an unremovable "threat" called mediaticketsinstaller.ocx (an adaware.cdt threat). I am trying to find information on that. Not sure if it could have anything to do with my pc not access the network or not. Spybot and adaware are my next options. Any suggestions? How likely is it the card is toast?

Thanks

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

3. coulterp

coulterp

I don't think this will necessarily mean your card is toast.

By default, the computer first tries to contact a DHCP server on the network and dynamically obtain configuration for each installed network connection. If a DHCP server is not reached after approximately 60 seconds or a leased configuration fails, then Windows XP will issue an address in the Automatic Private IP Addressing (APIPA) IP address range (169.254.0.1 --169.254.255.254) and the subnet mask is set to 255.255.0.0.

Could be a fault somewhere on the connection between the NIC and the router (including cable, cable connectors, hub port, or router port).

4. BratDawg

BratDawg Thread Starter

First Name:
    Carla
    Think I forgot to mention this is a Win98SE computer. I'll check the cables, tho, and try reseating the card physically. Silly me - I never think of that.

5. JohnWill

6. BratDawg

BratDawg Thread Starter

First Name:
    Carla
    Thanks. I'll look at it. I finally reinstalled the Windows OS and that seems to have fixed it. It must have been a messed up IP stack - whatever that is. lol She down'd screensavers.com and installed. Horrors!

7. JohnWill

Well, starting from scratch solves a lot of problems, but it's an extreme measure for most issues. :D

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/347853

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice