1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Network connected but can't access internet

Discussion in 'Networking' started by madartiste, Jul 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. madartiste

madartiste Thread Starter

Well, I'm a total novice to the networking area of computing but decided to give it a try (please bear with me if you would). I have a D-Link DI-624 wireless router hooked up through the ethernet port of the primary computer for configuration purposes and ease of installation. The second computer is using a Zonet USB wireless adapter to try to access the wireless network.
    While Computer 2 (with USB adapter) can see the network and indicates that the signal strength is excellent it can't browse the internet using either IE or Netscape. Evidently it will send but not recieve information.
    I'm sure it's a simple setting I've missed some where, but I can't seem to find it. The network is currently set as open (no encryption) and Computer 2's firewall is disabled. Anyone have some suggestions as to where to start hunting for issues? Many thanks in advance.

2. coulterp

coulterp

Can you ping any external (internet) IP addresses from PC2?
    Can you ping internally from PC2 to 1 and vice versa?
    Check the IP information in PC2 using the ipconfig/all command - see if it is what you would expect for your network (same sub-net as the router, which you should know from your router documentation).

Have you checked that IE on PC2 is set to use the LAN to access the internet? (IE/Tools/Internet Options/Connections. In LAN settings (in the lower quarter of the window) is the "automatically detect settings" box ticked?

3. Jest8

Jest8

Just making sure... You have the router hooked up to the primary computer? If so, you won't get out anyway. The router needs to be hooked up to the incoming connection (cable, dsl etc) for your second computer to be able to get out. So if you're finished with the config, just hook the router up to the incoming connection and you should be okay.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

On the computer that is failing to connect:

Open a DOS window and type:

IPCONFIG /ALL >C:RESULT.TXT

Open C:\RESULT.TXT with Notepad and copy/paste the entire results here.

5. madartiste

Wow, thanks for all the advice. I haven't had the chance yet to really sit down and try everything out. Hopefully I can get to tomorrow when my sister (who actually owns the computer) isn't home and needing to work on it.
    The router IS hooked from the cable modem and then the primary computer hooks into the router. That much works just fine.
    Thanks again!

6. madartiste

Well, we seem to have back tracked somewhat and now can't even access the Network. My sister uninstalled the USB adapter hoping a reinstall might solve things but it seem to have made it worse.
    Ipconfig pulled up:
    Windows IP Configuration
    Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Stacy_Alighieri
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection 2:
    Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : WLAN USB Adaptor #2
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-06-F4-06-CA-74

I'm pretty sure the disabled IP routing and media disconnected descripters aren't good. Anyone got some advice or have I completely fouled up?
    Thanks again. You guys are very tolerant.

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Have you turned off all firewalls, both 3rd party and the XP built-in firewall? Have you turned off ALL encryption on the wireless link? You can enable encryption when you get the link working.

8. madartiste

All encryption for the wireless link is definitely off. I've checked that repeatedly. We've taken down the 3rd party firewall. I'm unsure as how to check for the XP firewall, though in the network connection settings I made sure the "protect my computer..." box concerning the firewall is off.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/248021

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice