Network connection goes from private to not on active networ

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

rdarcy

In network and sharing center when I turn my computer on it says private network which it should then minutes later it changes and says I am not on an active network. My computer is plugged into a router and then the router to modem. The computer runs slow when booting up now but the internet and everything it connects to wirelessly work fine so I don't get why it keeps doing this . Network map has disappeared and I don't see manage networks. I'm on windows 10 pro. I did change the network name on Saturday and then this happened so I changed it back but the problem has not gone away.

keltic1der

Donald
I had an issue like this on my laptop, except it would change the private network to public.. I uninstalled the wireless card, rebooted the computer, and reinstalled it. It fixed my issue

rdarcy

I had an issue like this on my laptop, except it would change the private network to public.. I uninstalled the wireless card, rebooted the computer, and reinstalled it. It fixed my issue
I did that as well. I researched this before I posted because I cannot find this exact issue anywhere. I'm going to delete my old networks that have been connected to in the past in the registry.

rdarcy

Network 5 private comes on when I start the computer minutes later it goes to the top picture. Firewall says I'm connected to private profile, Internet works fine, wireless works fine.

So you changed the network name and this started happening. That must have screwed up something internally, but you say the wireless networking still works fine. The thing I would try is to make Windows think you are connected to another network and detect it and set it up afresh. Try changing your SSID on the router.

rdarcy

I'll give that a try when I get home. Thanks. I also hooked up a new router but this happened a day after the router. I'm also going to try my old router and see if it fixes it.

Couriant

James
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Try changing the Ethernet cord. It seems that you are losing your Ethernet connection so either a bad cable or device is the likely cause.

rdarcy

Try changing the Ethernet cord. It seems that you are losing your Ethernet connection so either a bad cable or device is the likely cause.
But even after it says I'm not connected to a active network my computer which is plugged directly into the router still works for the Internet and shows 1 Gbps and is active.

rdarcy

Logged on to my son's computer which is wireless. My problem computer is wired. His active network is fine. I tried to connect to the computer named KITCHENCOMPUTER from his and got this error. When I looked on my problem computer it says KitchenComputer. Spelled different so I tried to change the name to all caps but it won't let me. I'm thinking this is the issue? The miss spelling? uploadfromtaptalk1458261235971.jpguploadfromtaptalk1458261242244.jpg

DaveA

David
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
The name of the computer must be made on the said machine.

Also have you turned on the device and file sharing of the KitchenComputer?

rdarcy

The name of the computer must be made on the said machine.

Also have you turned on the device and file sharing of the KitchenComputer?
Yes those are turned on. My computer with the lower case should be all caps like it was. When I go to make it all caps it will let me change it but not save it.

rdarcy

I got it to change to all caps but that did not fix the issue

DaveA

David
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
I have not had issue with upper and lower case network or computer names except for Windows 95.

Is this happening with both WiFi and wired connection?

An you are connecting to your router or someone else's?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online