1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Network connection going down intermittently

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Mcfluff, May 29, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mcfluff

Mcfluff Thread Starter

This is copied from reddit, that's why there are "edits"

I've had this problem the last week or so. I lose connection to the internet for a short while and then it comes back up again and repeat. The discord call I'm in starts lagging and I'm disconnected from the Minecraft realm I'm playing on. When I troubleshoot through Windows Network Diagnostics I get an error saying "Windows could not automatically detect this network's proxy settings."

I'm playing on an HP Pavilion 500-205eo with Windows 10 connected via Ethernet to an ASUS 4G-AC55U. As far as I know it only happens when I play Minecraft and am in a voice call on Discord (although it just happened while playing Minecraft and listening to Spotify) at the same time. I've tried updating drivers and turning off the settings that most google searches tell me to, still no difference.

I haven't checked if all my devices lose connection or just my computer yet, I'll edit with more information on that if I get any.

EDIT: Yeah it looks like my phone loses connection as well. This makes me think it happens regardless of if I play Minecraft or not, Minecraft just makes me notice it more.

EDIT 2: I get the "windows could not automatically detect" error when the connection works as well, making me think it's irrelevant to the connection loss.

EDIT 3: My brother gets it on his laptop as well so Minecraft is no longer relevant to the problem, something's ****y about my internet. What's going on?

I barely know anything abut router settings and the like but I do have access to it, what do I need to do to fix it?

2. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Hello and welcome!

So in my experience, we are looking at from your router (if separate), then modem, then the line itself.

What ISP / connection do you have?
    Do you have a separate modem and router, or a combination?
    When you lose connection, does the network icon show a red x or no signals/greyed out wireless, depending on your connection?

3. Mcfluff

Mcfluff Thread Starter

Thanks for the welcome!

We have a 4G connection, our ISP is the Swedish Tele2. We put a SIM-card in the router and it works alright.

According to ASUS's website there's a built in modem.

Most of the time the icon doesn't show an icon at all. I've seen the yellow warning sign once or twice when it's been down for longer than one or two minutes.

I should add I've tried restarting the router and checking so there's nothing wrong with the cable between it and my PC. It's a wireless router, only needs to be plugged in to power it.

4. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    4G? So it's with a cellular company? From the short look i had it looks like it's using cellphone towers for connectivity?

If so, then that may be the reason for the disconnection. If the cell signal isn't strong enough, it would lead to disconnections.

Do you know what speeds you are meant to get from your ISP? Have you tried speed tests? I recommend using 3 speed tests, but I would not know what is in your area. Ususally your ISP will have one, then www.speedtest.net for another... www.DSLreports.com/stest and www.testmy.net are others.

Last edited: May 29, 2019
As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1227835

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice