1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Network connection hangs in a strange way

Discussion in 'Networking' started by PaulosV, Feb 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PaulosV

PaulosV Thread Starter

Hi,
    this may seem a bit strange. I have this - seemingly random - issue: after a random time interval (sometimes it takes minutes, sometimes there's no problem for three days) the network connection hangs. It hangs in a way that the network adapter cannot be either disabled or enabled again using Control Panel. Furthermore, when this issue happens, I'm usually unable to do any DNS resolutions - and upload does not work reliably! It transmits only a certain amount of information and then hangs for several seconds. My internet connection is OK, that's checked. Download still works OK though - for the most part, sometimes it hangs too - but that's probably because it can't even send a request.
    The system starts to hang as a whole, one waiting operation sticks to another, Task Manager can't kill some services and processes that have hanged (kill once - nothing - kill twice - Access denied) and I can't even reboot properly (Rebooting screen shows and the apps are closed, but the system never turns off), I must do hard reset. After that, the system works for a random while, and then the issue starts all over again.

Sometimes it is accelerated by the CAPT printing, but I found no direct connection to it.

More puzzling thing: no such issue happens under Linux. No Linux distribution that I've ever tried had this problem, but maybe I wasn't patient enough.

My network adapter - according to the Device Manager - is Qualcomm Atheros AR8132 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller (NDIS 6.30). First, the driver was 2.0.0.1 version, then I upgraded to 2.1.0.12 but the problem still continues.

I really have no clue what could be behind this. The system files are fine, SFC detected no file corruption. Could an evil app be doing all this?

Thanks for doing whatever you can to help me!
    Pavel

(Oh, and by the way, Skydrive is now attempting to upload 29 MB file and it's now stuck on 13 MB. Hope this message goes through.)

BTW, your SystemInfo utility seems to be pretty buggy. Why does it think that I have "Standard Microsoft video adapter" with 12Mb RAM when I have ATI Radeon HD 5670 with 1GB? :eek: Also my Windows Defender is Enabled, not Disabled. Keep that in mind. ;-)

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 8 Pro with Media Center, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E8200 @ 2.66GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 6
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 8191 Mb
    Graphics Card: Základní ovladaè vykreslování Microsoft, 13 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 112605 MB, Free - 14055 MB; D: Total - 610413 MB, Free - 7998 MB;
    Motherboard: MSI, G41M-P26 (MS-7592)
    Antivirus: Windows Defender, Disabled

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1091074

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice