1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Network Connection Help

Discussion in 'Networking' started by tazza_0712, Oct 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tazza_0712

tazza_0712 Thread Starter

Hi all,

Today I bought a cross over cable to network my laptop and my desktop. Here is the problem, the desktop doesnt seem to know that there is a cable in the network port. (Both machines are XP)
    The strange thing is, when I plug the cable into the laptop, and I plug it into the desktop, the laptop network card light thing (at the back of the laptop on top of the network port) lights up, meaning that something is "registering", yet the desktop still doesnt notice the cable, and the XP warning comes up with "A network cable is unplugged" when there is in fact one in there.

The desktop is the internet providing machine, and so the laptop doesnt have internet access until they can be networked, which I cant seem to do. Please help.

Thanks!

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

There are two possibilities. Either the cable is bad, or the ports are not compatible. I've had a number of cases where a crossover cable direct would fail, inserting a cheap hub or switch into the mix solved the problem. I've also had several factory made cables bad, right out of the package. I now test all the cables with a TDR to make sure they're good. :)

3. tazza_0712

Hi there,

the place where I bought the cable tested it before I got it, so I know that it isnt that. I guess the next possibility as you stated could be that the ports are not compatible, but delving into that, is there any possible way of seeing if in fact they are incompitable?? Thanks for your quick reply.

4. tazza_0712

Actually, I just installed Kazaa Lite (although that has nothing to do with the topic) and Norton Internet Security just popped up, and said something about blocking access to ports or something similar. Could that perhaps be a reason why it isnt working??

5. play1998

play1998

nono that should have no issues at all i mean those are virtual ports not phisical ports, if you plug in a straight through cable do you get a light on the back of the computer ???

6. tazza_0712

I get a light on the back of the laptop when I connect the other side to the desktop, but so far, there has never been a light on the back of the desktop. The light that comes on the laptop makes me think that the laptop is recognising the desktop, but for some reason, the desktop just keeps on saying "network cable unplugged"

7. tazza_0712

On my laptop, there is now a connection evident between the two computers, as in the lower right hand side of the task bar, there are now two computer screens which say that the network is connected at 10MBPS, yet there is still no break through with the desktop, still saying "network cable unplugged" just thought I would keep you up to date if you came up with any more ideas.

Thanks

8. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

The place that tested the cable doubtless used the $50 continuity checker, not the $5000 TDR to test it. Even if the pairs are wired improperly, it'll still pass the continuity test. I'd try a different cable...

9. tazza_0712

Hey everyone,

thanks for all your input. I dont know how I did it, but I used a USB ethernet adaptor to connect the network cable to the laptop, and I connected the other side of the network cable to the desktop in a new NIC and now the network works. And I used my old network card on the desktop to connect to the internet. It took a lot of testing but it finally worked, thanks again for all your help.

Tazza

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/171148

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice