1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Network Connection, Internet & IP Camera

Discussion in 'Networking' started by shakarn7, Jan 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. shakarn7

shakarn7 Thread Starter

I'm hoping someone can help me with my networking issue. I've been trying for weeks to do it own my own but I really need help.

The situation is that I have an Edimax router connected to a huge directional antenna that picks up the internet connection from the office 200m away. The router is then connected via ethernet to a DLink router. I'm not sure if I have set them up correctly. The network drops out randomly, mostly on laptops running Vista. When I try to reconnect, it can't for a period even though the signal strength is good. When I do have a network connection, sometimes it is local only, the internet is intermittant. The laptop running Windows 7 seems rather stable, although it still disconnects from the network at times and also will not reconnect for a period.

The other problem I have is the ip camera. It connects via LAN perfectly but when in wireless mode it either won't bring up the login page, am able to login but doesn't display camera page properly, times out, or takes a long time to display. One laptop running Vista won't bring up the login page at all.

One of the computers running Vista, the computer running Windows 7, the DLink router and the ip camera are all in the same room.

What could the problem be?

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    models of the edimax and d-link
    I assume they are both supplying wireless signals - are both routers set to provide IPs via DHCP

whats at the other end of the wireless in the office - presumably another router - is that correct

Office Router (make and model) <wireless> edimax ^wireless --> d-link ^wireless

can we see a xirrus screen shot - and post back all the SSIDs of your wireless networks

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    {run Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector} Download and install
    If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to copy the program across to the faulty PC

http://www.xirrus.com/library/wifitools.php
    Direct link to the program is here http://www.xirrus.com/library/wifi_download_redirect.php
    Then run and install the program
    if you get an error - You need NET Framework installed for the WiFi Inspector to function.

Run the program

post a screen shot of the program running - if there are a lot of networks showing can you click on "networks" top lefthand area - so we can see all the network information, and also post which network "Adapter Name" (1st column) is yours on the list

To post a screen shot of the active window, hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file.
    To upload it to the forum, open the full reply window and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

3. shakarn7

shakarn7 Thread Starter

Edimax router is BR-6204Wg and DLink router is DIR-300. Only the Edimax is set to provide DHCP.

The office router I believe is DLink as well. Not sure of model. I don't have access to office right now. The Edimax router has AP disabled and is set to receive the office network SSID via site survey which is called conexant. The Edimax router is then connected via ethernet to the home DLink router who's SSID is NetBrake.

I'm using the pc which has the most difficulties. At the moment I'm connected as local only to the network but can't even access the Edimax router settings. I'm using our backup internet (what we use to use), a pre paid dongle.

Attached is screenshot as asked.

Attached Files:

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    so just to confirm - this setup DOES work But you get disconnects
    I would change the channel and use channel 1
    also remove the security and see if that helps

5. shakarn7

shakarn7 Thread Starter

The Edimax router that connects to the office network conexant is on channel 10 and doesn't have security at the moment. I can't change this. Does it matter then if I put the home network NetBrake on channel 1? I'll put our home network NetBrake to no security in the meantime to see if that helps.

6. shakarn7

shakarn7 Thread Starter

I put the home network NetBrake to channel 1 and no security and now the best computer that's right next to the DLink home router cannot see the network or only has one bar signal. What's going on? Are you able to help me?

7. shakarn7

shakarn7 Thread Starter

I changed the home network NetBrake back to channel 5 and I have between 3 and 5 bar signal, but I no longer have internet access on any computer. And I still can't access the ip camera wirelessly. What am I doing wrong?

8. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    changing the channel can sometimes effect the signal strength - but not usually that much - have you left the security off ?
    do you have any cordless phones

you may need to switch everything on/off and reconnect again
    The dlink should be acting as a WAP -

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    With Wi-Fi "too close" is a real possibility. Keep devices 5 or 6 feet apart minimum unless you know there is no problem with them closer.

10. shakarn7

shakarn7 Thread Starter

I've restored back to my original settings to try some different suggestions.
    I have no home phone.
    It seems strange to blame problem on wireless devices being so close. The ethernet cable that connects the two routers is approx. 10m apart, also that the pc closest to the DLink router works the best and the one furthest away is the worst.
    I did not enable Access Point Only mode on the DLink router as when I did this I lost all control over the router. It said that the DHCP server would handle the access point but I couldn't find the ip address to go into settings and do any alterations. Is this what is wrong? If so, should I input all settings before enabling access point only mode? How do I then find the ip address to make any further alterations to the settings if the Edimax router is handling the DLink router?

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/975394

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice