1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

network connection issue

Discussion in 'Networking' started by nine2lou, Jul 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. nine2lou

nine2lou Thread Starter

In My Office, I Have 2 Xp Home Pc's Working. My Wifes Pc Will Not Connect To The Network Or The Internet All Of A Sudden. I Brought It Down Into My Basement Where I Do Small Pc Repairs. It Connects Fine Down Here. I Brought A Working Pc Up To Her Desk And It Would Not Connect At That Location As Well. I Replaced The 6' Cable To No Avail. Can Anyone Help Me Trouble Shoot This Issue. Thanks

2. onsite

onsite

what does your wifes pc plug into with the cat5 cable ? what ever it is , turn it off then back on again.

3. nine2lou

nine2lou Thread Starter

I've reset the modem and router a couple of times. Unpluged and tryed a new cat5 cable. I will now pull the wall plate off and look for loose wires.

4. onsite

onsite

you reset the router or turned it on and off ?

5. nine2lou

nine2lou Thread Starter

I unpluged and repluged as I've had to do in the past for other issues. I did a continuity test with my electrician neighbor and it tested ok. The only thing I can think of that happened prior to this happening was a very close lightning strike. I think it may be a fault on the Leviton line distribution module where all connections are located.

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Well, you need to isolate the cable runs between the two locations one at a time. You mention a line distribution module, if that's a switch, it may have fried one or more ports. Try moving the line around, or even substituting a cheap switch for a test.

7. onsite

onsite

try resetting, where you push in the little button with a paper clip

8. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Better yet, pull the plug for 30 seconds. :)

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/485774

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice