Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Network/Connection Issues - Solution Please

1K views 16 replies 2 participants last post by  AAbdalnour 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi,

Please bear with me as I outline my issue with internet connection and network.

My laptop is old but I have done my best to maintain it, and it has been running well until recently when many problems started cropping up: the BSOD, internet connection, hotkey.dll, etc. The connection is unstable, meaning that the wifi would turn off and on (the error sound would occur ever minute with the connection failing). I would manually connect through my server, which was a pain, until updating the driver (via Device Manager) and this sorted the issue out. The next day my speakers stopped functioning but after using a driver booster to update it (and clean up the plug-ins), the internet connection became unstable again and it deleted the Ricoh memory card driver that I installed after the BSOD (blue screen of death) which occurred frequently around the time of the internet connection problem. I uninstalled that driver booster, as a result, but am left with trying to figure out a solution to this problem. I considered system restore but it only shows four days prior and this problem happened about a week ago.

After days of online research and searching Microsoft website, I have followed instructions: clean boot, msconfig/IPconfig, chkdsk, etc. as well as virus checks and the wifi appears and my server shows internet access but online sites online do not always load properly and online games (Wizard 101) disconnect after five or ten minutes with a connection error. My (Dell) Support Assistant doesn't load because of the connection issue and programs designed to look for solutions do not download and are just added viruses (like the Restoro as advertised on your site).

I would very much appreciate advice and a solution to this hair-tearing issue. :) It has to be simple but I don't have the knowledge at this point to solve it. I hope you can. Much thanks!

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU P8700 @ 2.53GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 10
Processor Count: 2
RAM: 3838 Mb
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 9400M G, 256 Mb
Hard Drives: C: 99 GB (33 GB Free); D: 197 GB (191 GB Free); F: 0 GB (0 GB Free);
Motherboard: Dell Inc., 0K183D
Antivirus: Microsoft Security Essentials, Enabled and Updated

See less See more
#2 ·
1. System Restore would show more prior dates if you checkmark the box saying 'show more restore points'.

2. For your internet connection problem, do the Device Menager Update Driver again.

3. Server usually means Windows Server, which is a product which I don't think you have. Do you mean your router?

#3 · (Edited)
Hi, thank you for your reply.

- Yes, 'show more restore points' brings up the beginning of October but it brings up a window to browse files and folders; I clicked on the AppData file which contains three folders but does nothing other than opening these files; there is not an option to select and continue with the backup. I don't know what to do at this point.

- I've updated the drivers yesterday and several times before then.

- I meant ISP - the router. I did several reboots of the modem and checked all cables initially.

Thank you for further assistance.

#4 ·
'Show me more restore points' should not bring up a Open File dialog box. Something seems to be broken. Click on Start button, type 'cmd' and right click on icon and choose Run as Admin. Then type in 'sfc /scannow' . This will check and repair Windows system files.

So you are getting intermittent internet connection problems still. If you are using ethernet network cables, then change the cable and test. New cables costs approx $6. Also check both ends of the ethernet cable to see if it is plugged in snugly.

If you are using wireless WiFi, then check with another laptop or cellphone. A cellphone could use WiFi if you set it up so. On a Sumsung Andriod, the configuration is located at Settings > Connections. If there is a problem when doing these 2 tests, then the problem is with your router.

#5 · (Edited)
Hi,

I made an error; what I wrote was restoring files under restore system settings (Backup and Restore) instead of System Restore, which still does not capture before the 26th of October even when checking the 'show more restore points'. I did restore from the 26th, though, and it just restored what had already been lost and I had to redo the steps I took previous (Windows Update, clean boot, etc.).

I looked again in Network Connections - there are five connections with only two wireless connections (one I connect to normally and what usually connects). All have a red 'x' underneath the monitor symbols and when I clicked on one and performed a network diagnostic it found a problem, "The 'Local Area Connection' adapter is not working properly". I performed these tests before and sometimes the diagnostic did not find a problem and sometimes the "adapter is not working properly". I think this is related - would appear to be the problem - but when I 'explore additional options', none are given. I have updated all drivers and tested as being normal.

I did perform the scannow in dos. I also connected to the ethernet cable when I first encountered this issue and I still had connection problems until I did the msconfig/clean boot.

BTW, the PS4 and IPhone never have problems with internet connection. :cautious:

Thank you.

#7 ·
Hi,

I wrote in the initial posting that I did connect via ethernet and had problems (small yellow triangle with exclamation point inside). I tried again to connect via ethernet (that has a new cable) following your post, but the windows diagnostics did not discover any issues.

Do you have any other ideas?

Thank you.

#13 ·
It is a perplexing issue; how your system shows internet access but will not open programs like Support Assist and will not connect to certain games (no loading screen present and 'connecting to patch server' then quits the connection and brings you back to login prompt).

#14 ·
How many different fix-it type of programs did you try? You mentioned you encountered a virus once. Or did you encounter viruses more than once? Sometimes antivirus programs cannot remove all parts of a virus and parts of it remain on board, and upon reboot will re-install itself fully again, and the antivirus will not detect them a second time. Do a Google search for 'online scan'. Many big name antivirus companies like ESET, TrendMicro, and Norton have these one-time-use online scanners. Try a few of them, not just only one. As certain viruses are only detected by only certain vendors.

#15 · (Edited)
The other errors I am dealing with are the hotkey.dll system error when desktop opens (which I read is connected to GeForce drivers, but I don't want to uninstall GeForce) and a system error that does not get resolved through 360 Total Security. I also have the Microsoft Security Essentials.

I have tried Malwarebytes, which worked very well on my pc, Auslogics, and Solvusoft/WinThruster. There are conflicting results (360 results in cleaning viruses but scan several days later produce the same type of virus results and repair while Malwarebytes, for example, have produced other results. This is often confusing which to trust.) and these companies require a payment in order to resolve registry issues and cleanup which is what 360 Total Security is supposed to do.

Should I uninstall each download after testing before continuing to install another?

Thanks again.

#16 · (Edited by Moderator)
yes, uninstall each online scan after use.

Which Auslogics product do you have, they have several programs. WinThruster is not an anti-virus/anti-malware program

Also having several antivirus programs installed at the same time causes strange system problems. You should only have 1 installed. Windows Defender of Windows 10 will automatically disable itself upon installation of a third party antivirus.

#17 ·
Hi,

I downloaded Eset one-time scan it discovered a lot of errors which were cleaned and my system is faster; however, the internet issue remains. When I am in 'Selective startup' (msconfig), the internet is stable and Chrome works without an issue; however, in 'Normal startup' (which is suggested to return to after a clean boot), the internet goes on and off and I receive the interruption messages (one I've uploaded). In the 'Selective startup', I was able to load Dell SupportAssist and everything looked normal with no drivers needed to upload.

Do you have additional advice? I've done my own research and have tried suggestions according to the errors I receive, but am not finding a solution.

Thank you.

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.