1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Network connection not appearing, but ok in device list...?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by matt.choules, Mar 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. matt.choules

matt.choules Thread Starter

We wanted a pc in the lounge to network for watching films on our TV, but having installed Win XP Pro and as many drivers as possible (graphics, network card - latest available, mouse, keyboard etc) but i'm hitting a problem.

Although the ethernet card appears in the device manager list, There is no available Network Connection.

Whenever i try opening windows firewall i get a message saying the ICS is not running. If i enable it nothing changes. If i then restart i must then enable it again the next time i try and open the firewall.

[​IMG]

I have ran the Network wizard and entered all the correct information (name, connection type etc).

The most i know about running a command line command to check the settings is:
    ping 127.0.0.1 and that returns 100% of the data
    ipconfig /all shows nothing

[​IMG]

The computer is a Packard Bell I-Media and is about 6 years old.

Any ideas?

2. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

When you ping 127.0.0.1 all you are doing is pinging your own pc, If you want to ping something ping www.yahoo.com or some web site and find out what that is getting.

The other question I have is did you just re-install or install Windows on your computer?

Some system specs on your computer would be great and also would help to diagnose the problem.

3. matt.choules

matt.choules Thread Starter

Ok, i didn't know that 127.0.0.1 did that... Like i said, i'm not very prolific when it comes to command line.

I installed xp onto the brand new ATA hard drive i installed as the old drive died a nasty death.

As for system specs theres not alot of info i can give as there is no model number anywhere on the pc. I did a search on the Packard Bell site and found all the old IMedia pc's but there are quite a few different spec'd machines...
    http://support.packardbell.com/uk/item/index.php?i=platform_odyssey_imedia&g=1400

At the moment i am dealing with what seems like a power supply issues, but i will report as soon as i can get some diagnostic software on it...

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!