1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

network connection reverts to public mode instead of home

Discussion in 'Networking' started by tvjoe, Feb 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tvjoe

tvjoe Thread Starter

my problem is that often when I try to connect a laptop to the wi fi it won't connect because the connection has changed from home network to public and sometimes unidentified network . I can get it connected by momentarily unplugging the router and rebooting it , then pressing connect button and it will revert to home network and things are ok . It is a netgear DGN1000 and I tried another router same make and model , same problem. I use an ethernet cable on my desktop no problems.there's 3 laptops come in to occasional use and it's happened to them all . My early attempt was microsoft's fix for sticking in public mode . It is windows 7 pro on the laptops , ultimate on desktop

2. kanaitpro

kanaitpro Account Closed

are they all 64 bit? i'm having router issues with win7 64 bit wi-fi, but not on the 32 bit. not the same thing, but something worth checking. i couldn't imagine that you would have the same symptoms with different computers. have you tried the ethernet cable on any of the laptops? you may want to try updating the firmware on the router, i'm leaning toward a router issue here, but i've been wrong before.

3. tvjoe

tvjoe Thread Starter

2 of the laptops are 32 and 1 is 64 it is the worst .The router is the latest version updated .Netgear DGN 1000 and I have tried another exactly the same , I borrowed one ,just the same . I still think its a miss match or something with the router but I would like to borrow another brand to see the effect.I phoned the guy I bought the router from and he said it was not the router ,he works with them all the time . What's next?

4. tvjoe

tvjoe Thread Starter

I haven't put an ethernet on any of them

5. kanaitpro

kanaitpro Account Closed

try the ethernet cable and see what happens. it may be the drivers on the wi-fi on the machines, but if they're all different, that doesn't make sense. are they the same type of wi-fi? you can find this information by right clicking on the computer icon and selecting manage. i would also try to find another brand of router or take it to a public connection and see if you can replicate the issue.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1089562

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice