1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Network connections

Discussion in 'Networking' started by pcfeer, Jul 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pcfeer

pcfeer Thread Starter

Hi, I have a lap top that I have let my son use, some how he has lost my internet connection, the network connection box is completely empty, I get an error message saying the network connections folder was unable to retrieve the list of network adapters on your machine, make sure the network connection service is enabled and running, when I do try to sign on to the internet it cant find the router, any ideas as to what he may have done and how to fix it, many thanks.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Symptom: Your network connections folder is empty.

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD to open a command prompt:

In the command prompt window that opens, type type the following commands, follow each one with the Enter key:

regsvr32 netshell.dll
    regsvr32 netcfgx.dll
    regsvr32 netman.dll

Reboot the computer.

After that, please post this.

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD to open a command prompt:

In the command prompt window that opens, type type the following command:

Note that there is a space before the /ALL, but there is NOT a space after the / in the following command.

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter to copy the contents to the clipboard.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB disk, or a CD-RW disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

3. pcfeer

pcfeer Thread Starter

Thanks will have a go, I will have to transfer the details onto a disc to copy as I dont have a connection on the lap top, thanks.

4. pcfeer

pcfeer Thread Starter

Hi, I did as you said in your reply, after selecting all in the clip board there didnt seem to be much there, only what I had previously typed in, I did notice though that after I had typed everthing into the box my network connection box that was empty before had all returned including the folders, I tried to sign on to the net but I keep getting the message ( aquiring network address ) I checked on the local area connection 2 and its the same message, I tried reinstalling the modem router but I get a message ( the modem router hasnt been detected, is there anything else I can do, many thanks.

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Sounds like the fix to restore Network Connections was a success. If you are failing at getting an IP configuration on both ethernet and wireless a non-Windows firewall or security suite is one prime suspect.

Please show an ipconfig /all. If I guessed correctly on your OS try the following first.

(From a JohnWill post)

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Windows XP with SP2 or SP3.

Start, Run, CMD, OK to open a command prompt.

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ip reset reset.log

Reboot the machine.

6. pcfeer

pcfeer Thread Starter

Hi, thanks for all your help so far, before I do what you have suggested I thought I should tell you my modem router is wired, will this make a difference to your instructions, thanks, I have also noticed that there is a message saying ( This version of windows xp is no longer secure ) I did have service pack 3 before all the trouble, I have looked in add and remove for service pack 3 its there but it doesnt seem to be working.

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    A non-Windows firewall is always a suspected cause of failure to acquire an IP address. It's just lower on the suspect list when only one connection is attempted.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/840454

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice