1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Network Connectivity

Discussion in 'Networking' started by prhayes, Apr 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. prhayes

prhayes Thread Starter

I've had a home wireless network for several years with no problems. I have a Dell Dimension 2400 computer running Windows XP. I have Verizon DSL and was using the Westell modem they originally supplied. I have a Dell TrueMobile 2300 router. A few days ago the modem died and Verizon supplied a new Westell 6100 to replace it. I successfully connected this to my computer and established an internet connection. I then carried out Verizon's instructions to bridge the modem, I re-connected my router, removed the power supply from the router, plugged it in again and connected to the internet. However, every five minutes or so now I lose the connection. All the lights on the modem and the router are still lit and the network "thinks" it's connected. If I unplug the router, wait 30 seconds or so and plug it in again, the connection reestablishes but it only last for five or ten minutes again. As you can imagine, this is becoming rather frustrating. Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this and what the possible solution may be? Many thanks.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I'd upgrade the firmware on the router to the latest available and then reset to factory defaults and reconfigure. It sounds like the router isn't getting along with the modem in bridged mode.

3. prhayes

prhayes Thread Starter

I tried this without success. I downloaded and installed the firmware from Dell's site. I re-set the router to factory defaults and then configured to use with the DSL modem but it's still dropping the connection. When I first set up the network years ago, I did not have to bridge the old Westell modem (unless it happened behind the scenes and I was unaware of it). Could this be the problem? Should I "unbridge" the modem? Is this even possible and am I clutching at straws? Thanks for any help.

Pete

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Well, you could reset the modem back to defaults and see if that helps. You can configure the router as a WAP to eliminate the second NAT layer if required.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/918574

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice