1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Network crapping out...

Discussion in 'Networking' started by CoryDSK, Oct 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. CoryDSK

CoryDSK Thread Starter

For the life of me, I couldn't think of a better subject. Anyways, I finally managed to get my Ethernet cards a working the other day, and everything was fine. Still sort of is. Altough I've currently encountered a problem that didn't exist before today.

Whenever I try to open a MP3 file or video file from the other computer, it opens the file just fine but about 10 seconds into playing the file (everytime) it stops. In Winamp it just plays one 2 second portion of the song over and over again and in Windows Media Player the movie just stops and an error message says, "The specified network resourse or device is no longer available." And it also seems that each time the problem occurs when using Winamp, when I close down the program when the music skips, Kernal32.dll performs an Illegal Op.

Any help with this is appreciated,

Cory

(I also have a problem with IE on this computer where pages scroll really, really slow like there's tons of lag (other browsers are just fine). But that has nothing to do with the network since there's no internet sharing, I just thought I would mention it incase someone knew the problem off hand.)

2. Monstrous Mi

Monstrous Mi

I'm not entirely sure about this but I don't think it is wise to open large files like mp3s or video files and play them live across a network. If the media player is playing the file faster than it is receiving it, that could be your problem. I would copy the file from the remote computer to your local hard drive and then play it.

AS for your IE problem, one possibility is that you are getting low on system resources like memory.

3. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

4. JayTheHun

JayTheHun

I have to disagree with the Tech that stated that large files shouldn't be streamed over the network. We have no problems doing so here at our home. I'm talking videos, music, etc.

I would be interested in knowing whether or not this is a wireless network as I've heard similar symptoms reported with one particular device.

5. Dirk Gently

Dirk Gently

Just out of curiosity, what is that "kernal32.dll" there? I've only seen a process with that name once, and it was a trojan... is that why you're recommending HijackThis, AcaCandy?
    Oh, and I haven't had any problems, myself, playing video / audio "live" across a network, although it's only a two-computer "network"... just thought I'd add that.

6. JayTheHun

JayTheHun

That particular conflict usually is caused by a conflict with some program running in the background.

We've got 7 computers here that all stream files off a rather weak server that seems to handle it just fine. It's a Celeron 400, 384MB RAM, Win2k Server.

7. Compumedic

Compumedic

I also have a W2K server box (PIII, 550mhz) that runs awesome on my home network. Its primary use is for streaming over 7GB of MP3 and music video's over my LAN (both wired & 802.11b). I've never had any problems and must say networks are for streaming multimedia files.

What type of CPU and how much RAM do you have? Try booting into safe mode with networking support and see if you can stream that way. If you can then you know its either a background application causing conflict or maybe a driver or something like that.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/173388

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice