1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Network disconnects after about 4 hrs

Discussion in 'Networking' started by mekneedhelp, Apr 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mekneedhelp

mekneedhelp Thread Starter

Hi all,
    I have a D-Link g604t modem/router.
    3 computers are hooked up.
    2 PC's have windows 7, 1 has vista.
    All PC's are mid range gaming PC's.(Quad Core processors, 4 gig ram, reasonable video cards)
    The network has been working well for about a year.
    10 days ago I starting getting disconnected about every 4 hrs .(Hard to tell exactly)
    If I leave the network on for more than 4 hrs by itself, when I come back all PC's are offline and they cannot reconnect. Occasionally I am online when it disconnects. I have to unplug the router, plug back in, restart PC's then off we go.
    So far I have replaced the router with one from work (same model, works well at work, does not fix the problem at home)
    I have restored the router to default (with help from good d-link 24hr customer support)
    I have replaced the filter/splitter gizmo.
    Telstra (My ISP and the telephone line provider) say everything at there end is fine.
    Dunno what to try next?

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I got a little confused about 2/3 through. You have reset the router to factory default settings, but all computers on the LAN/WLAN still disconnect regularly? A different router works fine w/o the disconnects?

If yes to both of those, replace the router.

3. mekneedhelp

The 2nd router works fine at another location. It does not help with my current network problem.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    So, are you saying that both routers lose connection to the modem/ISP?

Have you tried a computer connected directly to the modem?

5. mekneedhelp

The d-link g604t that I am using is a modem and a router all in one.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Sorry for my dumb question; you said in your first sentence it's a modem/router.

Let me try again. It sounds like the modem/router is disconnecting from the ISP. Can you confirm this by LEDs on the unit or the fact that the computers can still ping the router or access its configuration pages? If so, I think you need to get Telstra to test when you are disconnected.

Is the modem/router (not the one from the office) yours or theirs?

7. mekneedhelp

"It sounds like the modem/router is disconnecting from the ISP. Can you confirm this by LEDs on the unit or the fact that the computers can still ping the router or access its configuration pages?"

The ADSL light on the Modem/Router goes of when we are d/c.

"If so, I think you need to get Telstra to test when you are disconnected."

I will try to ring Teltra when this happens.

"Is the modem/router (not the one from the office) yours or theirs?"

The modem/router is store bought, it is mine. I don't use the telstra provided one.

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Some ISPs require that the modem (or modem/router) be registered with them. If it is not, usually you do not get connected.

However, it is also possible that a connection can be made but then the ISP makes a periodic "sweep" to knock off any unregistered modems. I'm thinking that there is a small possibility that your modem/router is not registered, and that Telstra changed their procedure to "sweep" every 4 hours, and that is the reason behind your disconnects.

And there's also what happened to my daughter. She registered her new modem but then months later it stopped working. Took some time until tech support figured out that the ISP had restored their data base of modems to a very old backup. :(

9. mekneedhelp

Hmm, i will ring telstra and ask.
    We use the same modem/router at work and are with telstra there too. It works fine at work.

10. mekneedhelp

Just talked to telstra.
    They have "stabilized" the line. Apparently this changes the configuration of something so that it will not drop out. I have recently switched to ADSL2. (Faster connection speed) This may have been a factor.
    I will see if this works.

11. mekneedhelp

Well, after another day of regular d/c's, telstra's "stabilization" of the line has failed.
    They said they would have a tech look at their switchboard. I will wait a few days to see if they have done that. I am wondering if it is simply a matter of going back to slower ADSL.

12. mekneedhelp

Hmmm,
    things seem to have changed a bit with our connection.
    The different computers now get d/c separately as well as together. Before it was always together and we would have to reset the router. Now if a single PC gets d/c that PC can usually log back in. Maybe the "stabilization" has done something, if not fixed the whole problem.
    Someone also recommended that I make sure I am using an ADSL 2 filter/splitter. I have now swapped the old adsl filter for an adsl2, I will see if this helps now that the line is "stabilized". When I swapped them over a week ago it made no difference.

13. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Wireless, ethernet, or some of each connection type?

14. mekneedhelp

To answer the question, all PC's are connected via cables.

I seem to have some resolution to the problem via telstra.
    They had a technician ring me and helped diagnose that the splitter I was using was faulty.
    I find this odd since I replaced the old filter in an attempt to fix the problem.
    It would seem through a combination of line stabilization, rebuilding my line at the telstra switch and testing the splitter my problem is fixed.
    Dunno which one helped, but the connection is stable again.

15. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Good to hear. :) All's well that ends well?

You can mark this Solved using the button at the upper left of the page.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/917371

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice