Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Network Discovery will not turn back on

592 views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Couriant 
#1 ·
Hello everyone,

I’m trying to help my dad. He has an Alienware 17 laptop. His internet will not discover any networks and the airplane mode will not turn off. We are not sure what is going on. Please help. I just tried going through geek squad and they wanted me to pay $200 for tech support. NO THANK YOU!

#8 ·
Hi Msbritt86, Have you tried the suggested steps above using the default Administrator account? If not I would try the steps again using the default administrator account.

If airplane mode is still switched to on you can try pressing Shift Windows icon + R on your keyboard and enter services.msc in the run dialog box and search for Human Interface Device management and try disabling the service from there.

The driver for the Human Interface Device management may be corrupted or damaged in some way causing the switch to get stuck.

Since you already tried the steps above, you can try a system restore by typing control panel in the start, select system and security, select system, select System Restore, select system protection, select the system protection tab and select system restore. You can try performing a system restore to a point when Airplane mode was switched off and network discovery was enabled.

#10 ·
The other possible issue is the wireless card or the driver is faulty. Try uninstalling the device and installing the driver. If you can the service tag, we can get the latest from Dell. If you do not see the service tag, go into Command Prompt and type wmic bios get serialnumber and press enter. it should provide the 7 digit service tag for the machine, providing the motherboard wasn't replaced and the service tag was inputted correctly.

#11 ·
Hi Mzbritt86, If your dad's computer is out of warranty you will be required to pay Dell anywhere from $59 to $99 for support depending on your issue. If it is a hardware issue Dell will charge anywhere from $39 to $59 and if it is a software issue Dell will charge $99. It is much cheaper than "The Geek Squad". If your dad's computer is not out of warranty your dad may have purchased a support option when purchasing the PC he may be eligible for free support depending on the options he chose when he purchased the OS.

I did a check using my own OS model number and here are the results listed on the link below that provide a sample of the Dell Support options. As you can see mine is expired so I would have to pay if I were to need support as a customer.

https://www.dell.com/support/home/e.../0-Z2JiMVQrd2FNc0J1d3JlUStWNzR1dz090/overview

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.