1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Network discovery won't stay on

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by AndrewDC, Feb 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. AndrewDC

AndrewDC Thread Starter

I am trying to set up a home network for my laptop running Windows 7 and my desktop running Windows XP. When I select "Turn on network discovery" on my Laptop after saving changes I find that network discovery reverts back to off. The other required changes I need to make such as file and printer sharing etc save OK. I have also tried the above with my Avast Pro and Windows firewalls disabled but still get the same result. This is really frustrating and any help or suggestions would really be appreciated.

2. etaf

etaf Wayne Moderator

have you tried
    Clicked Restore Defaults in Windows Firewall

3. AndrewDC

AndrewDC Thread Starter

I just tried restoring Windows firewall to default on my laptop and it has not fixed the problem. Do you have any other ideas?

4. etaf

etaf Wayne Moderator

5. AndrewDC

AndrewDC Thread Starter

Thanks for your further help I have already previously read the article and followed suggestions without success. My network is set to Home. I have sent an email to Avast to see if there is a conflict that may be causing the problem. Please advise if there is anything else you think I can try.

6. etaf

etaf Wayne Moderator

7. AndrewDC

AndrewDC Thread Starter

Thanks for all your help. I might wait to see what Avast say first before removing the program. If I get no response I will try what you suggested. Thanks again for all your help and time.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/979182