Network Drive Admin vs User acct

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

TheCrazyOne

So I have a network drive that I can access when I log into Windows 10 using the admin account without being prompted for a password. When I try to access the network drive from a user account it won't work. It asks me for a password but there is no password. I am also able to access this network drive from a Windows XP computer on the same network as an admin user but I don't want to use the admin account on Windows 10 for general use. I want to be able to access it as a user.

1601142558366.png

I tried typing in admin and the admin password but that didn't work. What's weird is I used to be able to access the network drive from the user account (at least sometimes, it wasn't always consistent) but now I can't.

Network settings are as follows.

1601142742891.png

1601142756838.png
1601142801900.png

I tried playing with these settings but nothing seemed to fix it. I tried running explorer.exe as admin and that didn't work either. There were a few other things I tried based on various websites that I can't remember off the top of my head right now but nothing seems to work. Can someone help? Thanks.

Fireflycph

Morten
Try to use the local account on the machine that hosts the share. In other words, where it asks you for the credentials (username and password) use this format"machine Name\Username" (No quotation marks)

In your case it'd probably be "XS-WXL1B3\User account" Again, without quotes.

Couriant

James
You need to have an user account on the device that has the network share for you to use when you connect from another account, unless your network is a domain environment.

TheCrazyOne

Thanks. When I have a chance (I'm not at the location where the machine is now) I will try that. Also I posted this a second time because when I came back here the first time and looked I couldn't find the thread and I assumed it didn't go through. It seems to be here now.

TheCrazyOne

OK I eventually figured it out. I just created the following bat file and placed it on the desktop.

net use * /delete
net use \\LS-WXL1B3 * /user:admin
pause

Press Y for the prompts, make up any fake password when it prompts you, and it seems to work.

Thanks everyone.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online