1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Network Drive Mapping Problem....

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Sealclubber, Aug 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sealclubber

Sealclubber Thread Starter

hey guys, I got a problem with mapping network drives for some reason right now, and quiet honestly i think it might start leading to more problems...

What happened is last night, i shut down our lab and left the server doing a backup off a NAS (Network Attached Storage) and well, it has to back up like 45-50gb of data, so almost every time i back up it looses network connection to the file path. so what i did was i started a command prompt and had that command prompt continously ping the NAS, while this helped abit, i still loose the network path to the files i'm trying to backup.

Thats not really my problem, but it might be a contributing factor to the problem i'm currently having, this morning when everyone logged on (domain, i have a .bat file set to map a network path to a drive letter) it said that the drives could not be reconnected. No big deal, i tryed the drives and well, they worked so essentially there was no problem. yet when i log in as a certain user, its supposed to map a drive but it doesn't. i have to log out, then log back in, then it maps it.

Can someone tell me what my problem is? i'm lost on it, i'd like to see the .bat file execute when i log in but i don't know how.

Anyone willing to take a jab at this?

2. Ripley99

Ripley99

Lets try to get a better picture of your network infrastructure..

- How many PC's on the LAN?
    - How many servers on the LAN? (win2k or win2k3 or even NT4?)
    - What do the servers do?
    - Describe your network equipment - switches/hubs, routers etc...

Have you noticed degradation in network response? IE; internet browsing, accessing files from the server, slow emails etc....

R

3. Sealclubber

Sealclubber Thread Starter

Actually, i kind of half-assed found the problem.

I was quick enough i was able to pop up the window when the script was executing, and it was executing a script i put on that user a few months ago, although the script isn't even on the server anymore, it was deleted along time ago and now i have a different script in its place, yet it seems to ignore the fact that i put in a new one and trys to continue to execute the old one...

i made a new user account, and boom it works. unfortunately all e-mail, information etc is under that one user account so i can't just make a new one.

But besides that, yeah i have noticed sometimes the network comes to a standstill, then resumes which is whats giving me the problem with trying to do a backup off the NAS.

We have 10mbps Fibre that goes into a Linux box running Smoothwall (A Firewall) and it also runs our DHCP, from there its connected to a 24 Port 3-Com Switch which goes to our Win2k Domain Controller then to all the different ports in the building, we have a few FriendlyNet 10mbps 8 Port Switchs about, but other then that its all we have for networking really.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/387411

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice