1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Network drive not connecting on startup

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by sclemons6, Nov 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sclemons6

sclemons6 Thread Starter

I have a network drive that does not connect on startup. If you open Computer and double-click the drive it connects without issue.

If you try to use any programs that rely on data in that drive before double-clicking, it can not be accessed.

I have had 3 different computers - 1 with XP and 2 with Vista. The XP and 1 Vista had this problem. The other Vista worked fine on every startup. Never tried to fix it until now.

Why does this happen and how can I make the drive connect at startup - everytime.

Thanks -CSC

2. stevecampoli

stevecampoli

try remapping the drive and check reconnect at logon, that might help.

3. sclemons6

sclemons6 Thread Starter

I remapped and checked Reconnect at Login with the same result. I also mapped a few other drives to different locations on the network.

None of them connect when the computer boots. You need to double click the drive (with a red x) to connect.

What is happening and any ideas on how to fix?

Thanks
    CSC

4. rob_squared

rob_squared

Do you have to log in with credentials to access that drive? If so, you can try this:

Using Notepad, make a file that says:

net use <drive letter>: "\\<server>\<path>" <password> /USER:"<user>"

So an example would be:
    net use J: "\\data\my documents" mypass /USER:"data\userid"

Save the file and rename the extension to .bat and save it in you startup folder.

5. sclemons6

sclemons6 Thread Starter

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but where is the startup folder in Vista?

6. rob_squared

rob_squared

Its under Start-->Programs (or all programs)-->Startup

7. sclemons6

sclemons6 Thread Starter

The bat file maps the drive, but the problem is the same. I see the drive in My Computer, but it is not connected. You have to double click it to force a connection.

Any ideas?

Does this problem have something to do with startup order? Is the drive trying to connect before something else happens - say - network discovery start or something like that.

Thanks -CSC

8. crunskter1

crunskter1

I ran into this same problem and fixed it by changing the following registry to a value of 1.

HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\NetworkProvider\

Name: RestoreConnection
    Type: REG_DWORD
    Value: 1

I have attached the .reg file as a .txt if you wanted it. Just remember to rename the .txt to .reg

Attached Files:

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/771228