1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Network Drives: Drive on the Local Computer, not the Remote

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by bluewizard, Aug 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bluewizard

bluewizard Thread Starter

I've just bought a Win-10 PC, so I have only been using Win-10 for about a day.

I want to transfer Data from my Win-XP computer to my Win-10 computer. I've created Shared Drives on each computer, on the Win-10 the shared network drive is - win-c - and I created a shared drive on my Win-XP computer called - XP-E.

In my file browser under Network (W10) and under My Network Places (XP) I can see the drives I created.

BUT ... I can't see them on the other computer, the remote Network Computer. That is on Win-10 I can't find XP-E.

My old XP computer had THREE Partitions -

C: = OS and Ultilities
    D: = CD Drive
    E: = Programs and Data
    F: = Long Term Data Storage

On the new computer (Win10) I created two new Folders simply call "E" and "F", I want to transfer all the DATA on drive E:\ on the XP computer to the C:\E\ folder on the Win10 computer.

I also Mapped a Network Drive in Win10, for the folder C:\E\ which I named Z:.

But, what I need is to see those drive letters (Win10) on the WinXP computer so I can transfer files to them over the Network.

I'm sure what I am missing is relatively simply, but so far I haven't found it.

I created what are suppose to be Shared Drives in both the Win-XP and Win-10, and I can see them on the computer I created them on, but I can't see them on the other network computer.

Did I explain that well enough? Does anyone have any thoughts.

Steve

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    i would put the files onto an external harddrive - so I also have another copy as a sort of backup

3. bluewizard

So, you are saying, copy them all onto a USB drive, then plug the USB drive into the Win-10 and transfer them to the Win-10 Computer? So... in a sense use Sneaker Net?

I've not ruled that out. I just bought at 16db Thumb Drive for $5, so that is a possibility.

But there should be a way to do it over the Network.

Someone suggested I check to see that File Sharing is enabled. I check in Control Panel - Networks and "File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks" is checked (or enabled).

I'm sure what I am trying to do is easy, I'm just missing the obvious. But so far, it is not obvious to me.

Thanks for your suggestions. That is prehaps the fastest way because it is simply a matter of plugging and re-plugging a USB drive. If fact, if I simply did that, I could probably be done by now.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Steve

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    yep,
    it is possible to network and share the PCs and sometimes very simple to do
    I have not tried XP with W10 yet , mainly as i dont have XP anymore

5. bluewizard

I'll keep working with it to see if I can come up with something. I'll also search Google, which is probably the first thing I should have done.

I tried a 16Gb Thumb Drive but it is proving small and slow even for transferring small sections of the data.

Then I tried using a 50Gb USB drive, but the partitions seem screwed up on that drive. Of the 50Gb, 16Gb seems to be isolated into a partition that I can merge with the rest of the drive. Not sure what is going on there. I even tried to repartition it with Partition Commander, but no matter what I do it is set in two sections one of about 16Gb and the other about 40Gb. Haven't quite worked that one out yet.

Staples gave me a $40 coupon for a shipping delay, I might break down an buy a 1Tb USB HD. Though to be compatible with my XP system it will probably have to be USB 2.0. Though once everything is transferred, I would prefer USB 3.0 which my new machine has (allegedly).

I'll keep working on it. Right now I'm focusing on clearing out all the old data and misc on my old computer. Not a small chore in and of itself.

6. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    USB3 will work on USB2
    i carry a couple of 128gb usb3 sticks (and have a 1tb usb drive - used with usb2) and often use the sticks to transfer data from xp to a new pc

try http://gparted.org/ to re-partition the drive

if you share the drive on xp
    can you map to it on w10
    or share w10 drive and see if xp can see it

i have 10 and 7 working ok , but as i say dont have xp to try

bluewizard likes this.
  7. bluewizard

Thanks, I'm thinking of going with external drives. I think for my computer which has 1o's of DB to transfer, the USB drive will work fine. On the other computer, I doubt that there are very many Mb to transfer, so a USB Thumb Drive will work there.

I can see the drives in Partition Commander, I just can't do anything about the 16Gb section. I used Partition Commander as a back up because it will duplicate partitions. Should have just bought some back up software. I suspect DELL creates a proprietary hidden Partition, where is stores data it doesn't want anyone to mess with.

Partition Commander -

http://www.avanquest.com/UK/software/partition-commander-11-51985

I'm using Ver 10.

Then I used Partition Commander it duplicated that hidden Dell Partition on the USB drive, and now I can't get rid of it. I check out that other software.

Thanks again for all the help.

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited: Aug 20, 2016
  8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You can just do a simple file copy over the network. Starting with win7, you need to make some changes to be able to "See" older systems on the network.
    No need to partition your new system; simply make a folder say xpC or whatever. Copy the data; done.

Here are the instructions.

To start us out, you need to go to your Start Menu, and search for “Local Security Policy“. When it comes up, don’t click it straight away. Right click, and say “Run as Administrator“.

[​IMG]
    Start - Local Security Policies

Select Local Security Policies from the Directory Tree on the left, and then beneath of that, select Security Options.

[​IMG]
    Local Security Policies - Local Policies - Security Options

From here, under the policy browser select and open “Network security:Minimum session security for NTLM SSP (including RPC based) Clients“.

[​IMG]
    Network Security - Minimum session security for client.

Uncheck both boxes so that neither “Require NTLMv2 session security” or “Require 128-bit encryption” are checked. Apply the settings and close that window.

[​IMG]
    Un-check the box "require minimum security" for clients.

Now, right below the currently selected policy in the policy browser, select and open “Network security:Minimum session security for NTLM SSP (including RPC based) Servers“. Again, Uncheck both boxes so that neither “Require NTLMv2 session security” or “Require 128-bit encryption” are checked. Apply the settings and close that window.

[​IMG]
    Uncheck the "require encryption" box for servers, and apply the changes.

With those settings set, we are two thirds done. Back in the Security Policies browser for Local Security Policies – Security Options, locate and open the policy “Network Security LAN Manager authentication level“.

[​IMG]
    Network Security - Lan manager authentication level.

In the drop down selector for the options of this policy, Locate and select the option “Send LM & NTLM – use NTLMv2 session security if negotiated“. Click Apply, and close out of all policy management windows.

[​IMG]
    Set the lan manager authentication level to "Send LM and NTLM responses."

9. bluewizard

Thanks to all who replied. I finally got my 50Gb USB drive formated and working. Still can't merge the partitions so it looks like one 16Gb drive and another 34Gb drive, but it worked good enough to transfer data.

Now busy clearing out old programs and general crappola that I should have never let accumulate. Making headway.

Last step is to transfer my old Seamonkey and ThunderBird Email folders in the the new computer. I've done this before, but I can't quite remember how.

I think I create a new Email profile (actually two), then move the old data into the new profile. I'll work it out.

Thanks again, but for now, this issue is -

RESOLVED.

Steve

10. storage_man

storage_man

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1176525

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice