1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Network drop every 5 minutes like clockwork

Discussion in 'Networking' started by GrumbulUK, Nov 16, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. GrumbulUK

GrumbulUK Thread Starter

Hi all and thank you for taking the time to read this post.

I have recently noticed that during live streaming sessions that there is a network 'drop' every 5 minutes. It is as if all outbound data just ceases momentarily and then continues.

This appears to happen every 5 minutes exactly.

Any idea on what could be causing this or how I could track the issue down?

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Start by describing your network and applicable devices. We don't know if you have a router, or modem/router, or any other network devices, or are using a computer or tablet or smart phone.

We also do not know what you are doing. "Live streaming" generally implies inbound data but you say that outbound data is impacted.

3. GrumbulUK

GrumbulUK Thread Starter

Home network using a Virgin Media Super Hub 3.0 in router mode.

I am using a Windows 10 PC to stream data (6000kbps) to the London Twitch ingest server using OBS. This is on a hardwire ethernet connection with a measured 367Mbs down and 36Mbs up.

If I watch my network traffic I see a steady 6000kbps outbound data stream. Every 5 minutes it drops to 0kbps for approximately 1-2 seconds and then continues back to 6000kbps.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    One possibility is an IP lease time (either on the computer or the router's WAN) of 5 or 10 minutes. If on the computer then bump it up to hours (or, I would probably make it 1 or 2 days). If on the router's WAN I have another comment or suggestion, but no definite fix.

Most residential internet service does not expect such upstream use. Is your service OK with your use?

5. GrumbulUK

GrumbulUK Thread Starter

Absolutely, in fact the service I am using is specifically targeted at streamers so that is not an issue, and I have used the service at that bitrate for over 3 years with no issues until recently.

Looks like DHCP lease is running at 24 hours on the PC.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2019
  6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Thanks.

Assuming a Windows OS in a Command Prompt window type the command

ipconfig /all

You won't necessarily get the exact lease time, but the difference between lease end and lease start will give you a pretty good idea. In normal operation half way thru the lease time the router will ask the computer (or other device) if it wants to renew the lease, the device responds 'yes' and the renewal is done. That, I think, should be just enough extra traffic to give you the symptom you see.

Look in the router's WAN status. It will probably give IP, Mask and Gateway, but not the lease start/end. But maybe if lucky.

7. GrumbulUK

GrumbulUK Thread Starter

I'm a tad confused.

As posted the lease runs every 24 hours. The drops are every 5 minutes.

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    No reason to be confused; just a little disappointed that the first possibility I mentioned didn't pan out (I'm assuming that the 24 hours is the computer's lease time). Still possible could be the lease time on the router's WAN IP.

Just thought of another possibility. If you have an email client running maybe it's set to check for new messages every 5 minutes. There probably are a lot of other things, but I haven't thought of them.

I suppose it's entirely possible this isn't even network related, but a case of the CPU getting extra busy for a second every 5 minutes.

9. GrumbulUK

GrumbulUK Thread Starter

Definitely not email (already looked into that) and the CPU is not even close to being taxed (I run separate rigs for content/encoding).

10. lunarlander

lunarlander

Did you install any new software lately ?

11. GrumbulUK

GrumbulUK Thread Starter

No, nothing at all. The rig is very static in usage so rarely gets any additional software/apps. In fact in troubleshooting this I've even reinstalled W10.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
  12. lunarlander

lunarlander

Did you put in a new network device, like a new cell phone, DVR device etc etc ?

13. GrumbulUK

GrumbulUK Thread Starter

Nope.

I've even put the router in modem mode and placed a single ethernet cable from PC to the router in that mode (so no WiFi and nothing else on the network). Same thing happens. Tried 3 different cables as well.

14. lunarlander

lunarlander

Contact your ISP and have them do a checkup.

15. GrumbulUK

GrumbulUK Thread Starter

Already done before posting here.

Everything is running as expected. Even had an engineer out again today and he said it was pretty much perfect in every way from the tests both in the house and outside.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1235760

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice