1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Network Drops Out - FTP Error

Discussion in 'Networking' started by jon-showtec, Jan 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jon-showtec

jon-showtec Thread Starter

Hi posted this in web design but was advised it may be better in here.

Got a bit of a strange issue. Been using Dreamweaver for a while to edit our websites. All of a sudden I now get a FTP error when I try and connect (it takes a short while trying first), and the strangest part is that after I get this error, the internet on all the computers on my network stops working. I have to turn the router off and back on again to get the internet working. If I then try and connect in Dreamweaver again, the internet stops again.

Additionally, when it does this I also cannot log in to the router.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Jon.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    What does the WAN status (e.g., IP, Default Gateway) of your router show for good internet access and for when internet access has been lost?

What do the LEDs on the modem and on the router tell you about the problem?

What is the brand and model of your modem? Of your router?

3. jon-showtec

Details from the router while operational:

Internet Settings ADSL StatusConnected Data Rate Down/Up7616Kb/448Kb WAN MAC address00-11-50-85-EC-E4 Connection TypePPPoA Wan IP86.142.238.237 Subnet mask255.0.0.0 Default gateway217.47.71.250 DNS Address217.32.171.21
    LAN Settings LAN/WLAN MAC00-11-50-85-EC-E3/ 00-11-50-85-EC-E5/ IP address192.168.2.1 Subnet mask255.255.255.0 DHCP ServerEnabled DHCP Clients num8
    When it stops working I cannot log in to the router. All network traffic stops, and the only way to restore it is to turn the router off and on again. All lights stay on on the router as if nothing has happened.

4. jon-showtec

Sorry, and its a Belkin ADSL2 +

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You said this in your initial post and I missed it. :eek: Sorry.

It sounds like the router may be dying. Make sure that it has adequate ventilation and is not overheating. Make sure the electrical system is not suffering "brownouts," as low voltage could mess with the router.

Make sure you have the latest firmware update; then reset the router to factory default settings and reconfigure it.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/974639

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice