1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Network Drops out???

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by dkeegh, Nov 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dkeegh

dkeegh Thread Starter

I have a Realtek RTL8139/801x Family PCI Ethernet NIC. The drivers have been updated, however the problem remains. It seems that it only connects for a couple of seconds every couple of minutes.

My network configuration is set up like this:
    - ADSL Router (Netgear ADSL Firewall Router DG834), goes to
    - 4 port mini-switch, goes out to
    - My computer and a brothers computer

Now my brothers computer has no problems on the internet, it works fine, however mine does not.

I recently reformatted as i got a new harddrive, so i reinstalled Windows XP Pro, added both service packs (from the handy CD from APC Magazine) and the net worked fine.

That was working great for about 2 weeks, until two days ago my MSN just packs it one day, and then i find that reinstalling doesn't do anything. It wasn't until yesterday that i checked the Internet Connection Status. I find that the only way to get online at the moment is to Disable, then Enable the Internet Connection, quickly get to a site, then Disable and Enable again, then navigate to the next section, then Disable/Enable, next part... etc etc etc...

All my settings are fine, my router acts as a DHCP Server, and automatically assigns my computer a network IP address based on my Computer Name and MAC Address.

There have been no updates/changes made to the router, network or my computer that i can imagine made this happen.

The problem here, is that sometimes I can get onto the internet, other times I can't, however my brother always can.

If someone could please help me with this problem, I would be very greatful.

Thanks

Damian Keeghan

2. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

have you tried it without the switch, you don't need it.

try the card in another pci slot.

3. dkeegh

dkeegh Thread Starter

the network "card" is onboard :D (im not that stupid, that would have been one of the things i would have tried :p)

The switch is there because im running a 30m cable (around the walls, under carpet) from the router, to the switch then that allows us to connect our three computers to the switch rather than have 3x 30m cables running across the floor

(its been working like that fine for 2 years, so... thats not the problem)

4. natcom

natcom

make easy on your self and buy another nick card and desable the on board card a nick is like 20 something dollars this days

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!