1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Network error message

Discussion in 'Networking' started by melonhead, Jan 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. melonhead

melonhead Thread Starter

Everytime I reboot one of our computers, a network error message comes up:
    Micrsoft Networking
    Following error while loading protocol #1. Error 59: a network error has occurred.

All the computers network fine despite this error message. It is just kind of annoying. Does anyone have any ideas how to get rid of it?

Thanks!

2. Nothingface

Nothingface

you might wanna take a look at event viewer. it will tell you specific info.

3. Firejay

Firejay

Take a look at your network properties and determine how many protocols you're loading. Depending upon the network you may only need TCP/IP or TCP/IP and Netbui, etc. Sounds to me like there's an extra protocol that's not needed or supported that the system is attempting to load and use.

What OS is your network running?

4. melonhead

melonhead Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses.

I have three computers on the network. Two with Windows 98 and one with Windows ME. The computer with the error message is Windows 98. There are three IP/ISPs listed - one with dial up adabter, one with Diamond Home PNA and ethernet adapter and one with reaktek RTL8029(AS) PCI Ethernet NIC. The same is true for the 3 NETBeui choices. If I don't run Netbeui, I cannot see my other computers and and IP/ISP is vital to get to the internet. Any suggestions?

5. Firejay

Firejay

I would first check the IP address / subnet mask and common gateway settings on all three computers. Next look at the Netbios names to make sure your not duplicating a computer name as that may also cause it to error. The last and most drastic would be to remove the NIC cards in the 98 machine that's generating the error, boot into safe mode and make sure there are no phantom NIC's left in the system icon. Shut down, reinstall the cards and reload the drivers for them.

My 2 cents.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/116104

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice