1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Network Expansion ?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by qadeerahmed, Jul 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. qadeerahmed

qadeerahmed Thread Starter

Hi,
    I'm new user at this forum, and needs your help.
    Actually, I want to expand my network by adding one more 8 ports switch, to an existing 16 port gigbit ethernet switch.

please tell me how it'll be done? the compelete procedure, crossover or straight cables will be used ? or how the computers connected with 8-ports switch and 16-port switch will interact with each other, file sharing etc.

Currently, DSL connection is using for Internet.
    and i also want the other computers to use the internet.

Kind Regards,
    Qadeer Ahmed

2. qadeerahmed

there is nobody to help me out?????

3. qadeerahmed

Bump !!!

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

The most likely reason that nobody has responded is you're basically asking us do design your network for you. I suggest you ask specific configuration questions to keep the help in more "bite sized" chunks. You also didn't provide any information about your current setup with specific make/model and operating system version information. Even if someone were inclined to design your network for you, they'd need more information.

5. qadeerahmed

Actually, I'm not asking for desgning my network,
    I just want the answer in detail.
    Currently, I'm using the GiGa Bit Ethernet of TPLINK, and all the client computers have XP pro Sp2. and now i want to expand my network as theres no more port left for additional computers....
    So I want to use the D-LINK 10/100 fast ethernet switch of 8 -ports,
    Now i want to know how both the switches will be connected? either by crossover cable or direct cable ??
    and either i've to make a bridge to run internet on both the networks.

Hope so i'll receive some positive response.
    thanks

6. jmwills

jmwills

Connect switch to swtich with regular Cat5/6 cables, "daisy chain" if you will.

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I'm sure that at least one of these either has auto-MDX ports or an uplink port, which only requires standard patch cables. If not, then you'd use a crossover cable.

With a better description of the issue, it's much easier to answer. :)

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/602944

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice