Network failing

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

BigTex

I have a Dell Inspiron 600m Laptop that has network issues. My father and brother's both seem to have the same issues. I ran HijackThis log that showed I was clean.

THE PROBLEM: The machine seems to "fall offline" pretty often at my home wireless network (802.11B). This seems to occur at many locations so I don't think it's hte way I have the network configured.

The problem is most common when the machine goes to sleep (closing lid). It simply must be rebooted to get back online once I've done this. I can bring up the networks in the availble networks window, but can't connect to any.

Thoughts?

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Closing the lid puts the computer into standby, it's normal for the wireless to disconnect. Have you checked the properties of the NIC in Device Manager and unchecked the "Save power" box?

BigTex

Not yet.. will check that as soon as I get home (2 hours from now).

I'll post an update then.

I expect the disconnect..was just hoping it would reconnect upon re-logging into windows. (I have it set to come to login screen after standby)

TerryNet

First Name
Terry
Do you have your home network specified (in whatever utility you are using to manage the wireless connections) as "preferred" or "automatically connect if present"?

BigTex

Okay,

I checked the device manager and found my Intel Wireless LAN MiniPCI Adapter... there is no "save power" option, but I checked all the settings. Transmit power is set to max... Power Management is set to Max (max performance, minimum battery life).... the Preamble is set to Default settings.

One thing I DID notice was under OTHER DEVICES there are two items that lack drivers:

Ethernet Controller
and
02 Micro SmartBus Card Reader.

Thoughts?

TerryNet

First Name
Terry
My question in post #4 still stands. Those missing drivers will cause you problems if and only if you want to connect an ethernet cable or use the card reader.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online