Network fails after 5 minutes

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

aw56001

Hello
I am running Win XP (SP2) on the main machine and Win ME on the other machine. The two are networked with ethernet cards in both computers and a LAN crossover cable.
I had the network running perfectly previously using the Networking Wizard in XP but a crash on the ME machine meant a format and a reinstall of ME. The network then refused to work. I tried many times using the Networking Wizard in XP but with no success. A friend has given me instructions on how to set up the network manually (which I have completed) using IP addresses and Subnet Mask addresses.
The Windows Firewall on the XP machine is switched off permanently as I use Norton Firewall 2003 for security. This has been configured so that the ME machine runs through this Norton Firewall also. The ME computer has no AV software installed as it is only used for internet browsing (no mail).
When I reboot the XP machine, the ME machine can use the internet (showing a connection is there) but only for about 5 - 10 minutes and then it collapses and I can't then use the network on ME machine. When I reboot the XP computer I can again use the network to access internet pages on the ME machine for about 5 - 10 minutes but the network dies again. The XP machine (Norton AV 2004 is running on this machine) is unaffected by this and I can send mail and browse the internet perfectly well.
I have tried shutting down the Norton Firewall and trying again but the same thing happens.
Could anyone please offer me any help?
Many thanks
Andrew Wilson

TerryNet

Terry
After reinstalling ME did you make sure you installed the same, or more recent, driver for the ethernet as you were using before? Whether you did or not, I suggest getting the latest version.

aw56001

Terrynet
Thanks for replying.
I have installed the latest Ethernet card driver from Windows Update. The same thing is still happening though. Strangely when I reboot the XP computer the network works again for 5 - 10 minutes on the ME machine then collapses but there is no effect on the ME computer if I reboot the ME computer.
This suggests that the problem is on the XP machine but I am damned if I know what it is.
I take it that Windows XP installs it's own drivers for the Ethernet card that is in the XP computer - anyway the drivers are showing that they are installed and working.
I don't think that the crossover cable needs any hardware/software installing so it can't be this if there is a network existing for 5 - 10 minutes.
I would be grateful for any other assistance that you (or anyone) could give.
Thanks
aw56001:confused: :confused:

TerryNet

Terry
I'm lost, but can give some suggestions.

First, with the network working, go into a command window on the XP and do
ipconfig /all

When the network fails, do another ipconfig /all

For the NIC that connects to the ME machine is there any change in configuration, and what is it?

If the ipconfig is the same for good and bad network, do the same comparison on the ME machine.

Second, as you said, cables don't need drivers, but they do go bad. I'd disconnect it from both ends, make sure the connectors seem secure, and reconnect. In other words, see if messin' with the cable makes the problem better or worse.

aw56001

Terrynet
Thanks very much for your reply.
I have done as you asked with the ipconfig /all command with the network runing and the network not running on the XP machine. The two versions differ somewhat but I am afraid that I can't figure it out from this. I have made two screen copies (.jpegs), is there a facility on this group for attaching files so that I can send them to you? If not I can type them out manually as I really want to solve this very annoying problem.
Thanks again:confused: :confused:
Andrew Wilson (UK):confused: :confused:

TerryNet

Terry
You can type
ipconfig /all >C:\anyname.txt
to create a text file of "anyname." (of course, choose different names for multiple files)
You then can open the file with Notepad and copy and paste the text here.

I think the ability to post attachments is restricted until you've made some minimum number of posts.

aw56001

Terrynet
Thanks I will do this tomorrow as it's nearly bedtime in the UK. Will post the text files tomorrow.
Thanks
Andrew

aw56001

Terrynet
The first set of data is from the XP (main) machine when the network is functioning on the ME computer.

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : D6700

Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :

Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Mixed

IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes

WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8169/8110 Family Gigabit Ethernet NIC

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0C-76-E4-7F-19

Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1

PPP adapter Speedtouch Connection:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : WAN (PPP/SLIP) Interface

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-53-45-00-00-00

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 84.65.102.244

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.255

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 84.65.102.244

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 195.92.195.95

The second set of data is where the network has collapsed after 5 - 10 minutes.

Windows IP Configuration

IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8169/8110 Family Gigabit Ethernet NIC

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0C-76-E4-7F-19

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1

PPP adapter Speedtouch Connection:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : WAN (PPP/SLIP) Interface

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-53-45-00-00-00

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 84.65.102.244

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.255

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 84.65.102.244

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 195.92.195.95

Thanks for taking the trouble to assist me as I am clueless.
Andrew Wilson

TerryNet

Terry
In your post #5 you said the two configurations (ME working and not working) differed. I don't see the difference in post #8. Am I just overlooking it?

The config for "Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection" is the one of interest, as it is the one communicating with the ME machine. The IP address and Mask are correct; I was surprised to see a Gateway and DNS but I've never used ICS so I suppose that's normal.

aw56001

Terrynet
There is one difference in the two text files.
When network is accessible from the ME machine you get:

Windows IP Configuration
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes

However when the network has collapsed the "IP Routing Enabled" part is now "No".
I am assuming that this is relevant but as I said I haven't a clue about networking so I have no idea what to do next to get my network running permanently.
Thanks
Andrew

TerryNet

Terry
"However when the network has collapsed the "IP Routing Enabled" part is now "No"."

Yep, I missed it. I too think it's relevant, but that's about all I can say.

When the XP computer is "doing" ICS it is acting like a router, which may be the IP Routing Enabled. When that is off, no more internet for the other computer(s). This is just a guess, and I don't know what else to look for if I'm right. And not too many other "helpers" here seem to use ICS.

About the only thing I can think of is for you to wander over to the Security forum, learn how to post a HijackThis log; and the post one with the above info about the IP Routing Enabled. In other words, maybe you have some kind of malware that's causing this.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online