1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Network File and print sharing

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Kme, Oct 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Kme

Kme Thread Starter

I HATE NETWORKING!!!
    I setup a network many many months ago, and was able to get it working well with file and printers shared and everything. I have two computers with Win XP pro and a laptop with Win XP HE. I use a linksys wireless B router. The two comps are wired to the hub and the laptop uses a wireless card.

About a week ago, I had a slight problem where i couldnt print anymore. However all computers can still share files with each other, access the internet, and otherwise are attached to the network perfectly fine. Strange? I thought so. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the printers, turning all comps off, unplugging modem and hub, and then restoring power, modem first, then hub, then comps. Still nothing. I even tried to change the workgroup name and everything.

BTW, I have 2 printers connected, a HP laserjet, and a HP officejet all-in-one.

I am so confused and frustrated its CRAZY!!!
    If ANYONE can help me stop losing my sanity it would be MUCH appreciated... thanks!

2. tsfirebird

tsfirebird

Ok here's the thing...Home Edition is NOT a true networking/file sharing Operating system. XP Pro is. Now can you get XP Home Ediiton it to sometimes network without any problems? Yes, I have done it. But only to have strange networking things happen later. i would re-introduce all machines into a new network name.... call it workgroup2 if you want and also try pinging things from different areas. Run IPCONFIG /ALL (my favorite command by the way...can you tell?) and tell me the IP addresses you got going. Maybe something like the subnet mask got changed. But try taking the XP Home Edition computer out of the picture and see what happens when you rename the computers into workgroup2. That worked for me one time.
    Hope this helps but without more information its hard to speculate.
    --- Gary

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Let's dispense with the first myth. XP-Home has the same workgroup networking capability as XP-Pro, and changing to XP-Pro will not fix this issue. XP-Home cannot logon to a domain, which is the significant difference in the networking capability.

First off, which computer the printers attached to? What is the current state of the network, still only print issues, or is it totally broken?

4. Kme

Kme Thread Starter

tsfirebird and johnwill,

thanks so much for your replies... but i believe I resolved the issue. what I did was change the workgroup and computer name of the machine which the printers were hooked up to(XP pro) and then when I connected to it from the other two machines I was able to share files printers and internet connections and all.
    Thanks again for replying, I appreciate the consideration.

---Kme

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/171332

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice