1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Network -file and printer sharing

Discussion in 'Networking' started by RonnyO, Jan 29, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. RonnyO

RonnyO Thread Starter

Hello All - I recently had a neighbors son (who is a "techhead" but now away at school) install a linksys router hardwired to my "main" PC in my study and also connected to a laptop in my home which has a wireless network card. It works beautifully for surfing the web except....I now want to be able to print from my notebook to my HP printer (which is physically connected to my main PC in the study). I would also like to share files as my daughter who uses the laptop needs access to certain excel and word files on my "main" pc while her brother is busy doing his homework on that machine. Can someone point me in the right direction so that I may attempt to fix this? I am not a PC officonado by any stretch so please advise if this is gonna get me into more trouble than it may be worth though I am good at following specific directions. My "main"pc runs windows 98 while the laptop is running xp home edition. Thanks in advance for any assistance you may be able to provide!

2. bubbalouie

bubbalouie

I havn't messed with wireless yet but I guess it works like a "wired" system. Both functions you want to access are on your desktop machine, highlight your network neighborhood on destop, right click on mouse and select properties, you want to click on file and print sharing for this machine. Go to my computer and click on the drive where the files you want to access reside and click on sharing tab and share the drive. As for the printer you should go to the laptop and click start>settings>printers> add a printer, when it prompts you if it is a local or network printer click network and direct it to the printer on the desktop.
    If this works as with a wired network the desktops printer will be loaded and you could print to the desktop.Good luck

3. jimi

jimi

check both boxes

you must right click on the directory or drive to get the sharing option

bubbalouie not meaning to step on anybodies toes here, just wanting to help:) an clairify a little

ronnyo none of this is going to get you into trouble, you've found a place that can also get ya out when that does happen.

welcome to both of you BTW, watch out for the ramblin threads they tend to suck you in and not let out:D

4. Monk_

Monk_

You must also share the printer on the desktop machine in order for the laptop to connect to it.
    Start>Settings>Printers right click on the printer, click on Sharing and select Shared. Click Apply and Ok.
    The laptop can now find the printer by going through the steps posted above.

5. bubbalouie

bubbalouie

Hey, no problem with the clarification, I work on 4 different systems every day and sometimes its hard to visualize in your mind the proper steps to take. Can do it on the machine blindfolded but try to explain it to someone- another story:rolleyes:

6. RonnyO

RonnyO Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses guys (and gals??). I am on the road so I have not tried the fix but plan to do so this weekend. It sure sounds easier than I thought and thus should allow me to stay out of trouble! :)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/66946

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice