1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Network File/Print Sharing Problem

Discussion in 'Networking' started by jph522, Sep 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jph522

jph522 Thread Starter

Hi,

I am having a problem whereby my computers do not see each other on my home network. To quickly summarize, I have a Dell desktop using Windows XP connected to a Netgear router which my Dell laptop using XP is wirelessly connected to as well (but this problem also occurs when I connect to the router with the ethernet cable). Neither computer has trouble accessing the Internet. The computers 90% of the time do not see each other on the network when I go to my Network Places however sometimes they appear but when clicked on am told that I do not have access to the other computer's files.

In addition, I have a Netgear print server connected through the router to my HP LaserJet printer. The desktop has no issue identifying and printing to this printer but the laptop only occasionally can locate and even rarer can print on the printer. The file to be printed just "hangs" on the laptop. The print server appears to be recognized as part of the network on my desktop but not my laptop.

I have tried numerous things including unplugging devices, reinstalling print server, changing network name, shutoff my Sygate firewall software, etc.. and have not been able to get the computers to regularly see each other and share files (and in the case of the laptop, print). Any assistance is appreciated.

Thanks

2. doggard

doggard

PCs need to be on same workgroup,File and printer sharing installed,have at least one shared folder,Within the same IP range,Have permissions set to allow access,disable windows firewall or install SP2.
    How good a connection is the wireless device?

3. jph522

jph522 Thread Starter

The wireless signal is Excellent and I should have emphasized that I tested the systems with the laptop both wired and wireless with little difference in results. Both PC's have been assigned the same Workgroup, and as noted have occasionally appeared on the other PC's list of Workgroup units, though for some reason this does not happen much of the time. For testing purposes, I have designated a couple of local folders to be shared but they have not appeared at any time when clicking on the other PC. Printer software is installed on both and have on occasion actually printed on the laptop though most of the time the laptop can't locate it on the network. Both PC's appear in the same IP range designated for the router, though are at different IP addresses. Windows Firewall is disabled.

What do you mean by setting permissions to allow access? I have not installed SP2, I should hope that XP can support a small home network without SP2.

Appreciate any suggestions. Thanks

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/269463

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice