1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Network file sharing

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by RobotGymnast, Mar 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RobotGymnast

RobotGymnast Thread Starter

Hi, I'm connected to my friend via a network. I have been trying to share files with him, which was a problem in itself. I had to make them shared, and then enable him through the security. Unfortunately, I can only choose users on my computer to set security settings for, and I can't find a way to let him through from his computer, so I have to let anyone in the user group NETWORK through (which is very annoying, I'd much rather just allow his computer, but I can't find out how to). But if I share a folder, I don't want him able to access ALL of the subfolders, so I manually go to their security settings and disallow reading. However, he can still see the folders, he just can't open them. Next I tried just sharing the allowed folders individually, and not the parent folder. This makes them available in the main window when he connects to my computer however. I'd much prefer to keep the directory structure the same, and have some folders not exist when he connects, as if they aren't there at all. Is there any way to do this? I've attached a screenshot of me trying to add a user from a different computer (UPSTAIRS is my computer name, and it's the only location available)

EditL Sorry, I didn't realize my other thread topic had actually worked. I've had a problem on other forums where my threads don't post, and when I went to the forum and saw threads that all looked the same, but mine was missing, I thought it hadn't posted.

Attached Files:

2. helpmerick

helpmerick

I think a simple method of accomplishing what you want to do (share folders with your friend) is to simply hide the shared folders from all other workgroup users. This link explains how to do this. I've had good success doing this in a small business environment.

Good luck.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!