1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Network Hard Drive Password

Discussion in 'Networking' started by EnfoToad, Apr 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EnfoToad

EnfoToad Thread Starter

I took my old computer and turned its hard drive into a network drive. Then I mapped it on all the computers on the wireless network. The wireless network is protected but I want to put a password on the network drive. How do I put the password on the drive?

Thank you for your help!

2. Wanderer2

Wanderer2

You can't put a password on a drive except at the bios level and that is not what you are asking for.

You are asking that when some goes to access the drive they have to put in a password.

Only way I know you can do that is to have the user accounts on this drives computer have the same name for each user account but you have to put in a different user password then the one they use to logon their pc.

example: userA logs in locally using "happy" as their passwork. userA on the remote hard drive pc has password "sad". Same name, different password.

Then they will recieve a password challenge but once they enter it they have all access until the next time they logon and connect.

Otherwise you have to purchase 3rd party password folders/shares program. Google it for more info.

3. EnfoToad

EnfoToad Thread Starter

So I need to create a second user account and then make different passwords for each other?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/701292

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice