1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Network hardware/software problem

Discussion in 'Networking' started by rep353, Jul 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rep353

rep353 Thread Starter

On my desktop pc I am running windows vista and cant connect to the internet. I have tested the LAN connection with my laptop and it works perfectly. I have reinstalled network drivers numerous times on my desktop trying to get the connection going, with no success. I have come to a conclusion that the problem must lie either with the network drivers or the built in network hardware itself because my router is working fine.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

2. loserOlimbs

loserOlimbs

Does device manager see a problem with your NIC?

Do the light all come on when you plug a cable into the nic?

3. rep353

rep353 Thread Starter

Nic? if you mean does a exclamation mark come up on the network driver - it doesnt

Another thing - i booted a live ubuntu to see if it would get drivers straight away like it always does and when I booted it in my desktop there was a red exclamation mark over the network status ie even ubuntu couldnt get my driver to work!

I have been using my desktop on the internet for ages with no trouble only today i went messing around by installing ubuntu on a separate hard drive. It still doesnt make sense how my netword chip isnt working:confused:

edit: If I am not making sense just point out where I need to explain

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If two different operating systems can't use the NIC, it may have died.

5. loserOlimbs

loserOlimbs

Agreed.

Luckily $20 at walmart can remedy this!

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/935184

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice