1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Network Help!!! 8 Computers need to be networked!

Discussion in 'Networking' started by busybee2498, Feb 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. busybee2498

busybee2498 Thread Starter

Network help!!!

Ok I have 8 computers
    2 computer will have a camera attached to it importing photos as they are being shot. (2 photo stations) Trick is I need to transfer all photos taken in real time to the remaining 6 computers at the same time.
    What is the best way to do this and what software to export all photos to the six computers.
    I'm running windows 7. I set this up as a home group but it was really slow. When I tried to use a network printer it would freeze the network?
    I need it to monitor new files as the photos come in. Also all photos also need to be copied to 6 different computers so guest could access their photo on any computer.

This is how I currently have it set up. I have 2 Computers with cameras attached that takes the photos and sends them to PC1 (My Server Computer) The server computer also has the network printer attached. Each photo is about 300K-500K size. Different photo is transfer every 15 seconds. The server computer is also connected to the other 5 Computers. The guest goes to one of the computers, scans a card and their photo pops up which is located on the server computer, they also have an option to print the photo. The problem is when the guests scans their card the photo is very slow to pull up ( about 15-20 seconds ) Second is when they hit print it freezes up sometimes for up to 2 minutes. I connected as a home group and first did connection wireless Then connect everything through a Ethernet cord which speed it just a little not much.
    Any recommendations?

Questions
    Do I need a better server computer? (AMD E2-3200 dual-core processor 2.4GHz 2GB DDR3-1333MHz)
    Should I have a program monitor a hot folder and transfer all photos to all computers or use a server computer like now?

2. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Why not use a NAS instead?

3. busybee2498

Nas? What is that

Thanks

4. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Network Attached Storage

5. busybee2498

Should I do a NAS or a Server?
    What could be the printer fix? It tends to freeze when more than one computer tries to print at the same time. (Network Printer)
    This is how I currently have it set up. I have 2 Computers with cameras attached that takes the photos and sends them to PC1 (My Server Computer AMD E2-3200 dual-core processor 2.4GHz 2GB DDR3-1333MHz / Windows 7) the server computer also has the network printer attached. Each photo is about 300K-500K size. Different photo is transfer every 15 seconds. The server computer is also connected to the other 5 Computers. The guest goes to one of the computers, scans a card and their photo pops up which is located on the server computer, they also have an option to print the photo. The problem is when the guests scans their card the photo is very slow to pull up ( about 15-20 seconds ) Second is when they hit print it freezes up sometimes for up to 2 minutes. I connected as a home group and first did connection wireless then connect everything through an Ethernet cord which speed it just a little not much. Ethernet cord (cat 5) is the only way to go correct?
    Any recommendations?
    I'm running windows 7. I set this up as a home group but it was really slow. When I tried to use a network printer it would freeze the network?

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    That sounds like a printer defect. It should simply complete printing the first print job that reaches it and then proceed to the second one.

7. busybee2498

I’m sorry the printer don’t freeze but the computer you hit print from would freeze.
    I assumed that the computer you hit print from would freezes because I’m using the network to move photos back and forth and at the same sending print jobs from 6 computers at the same time and the network is getting real slow.

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Does the computer "freeze" in the sense that you have to force a power down, or in the sense that it refuses to do anything else until it gets some status about the print job it sent? If the latter, that's probably just the way the OS was designed.

9. busybee2498

No need to shut down just give it about 2 -3 minutes for the computer to think then it finally prints.
    If it’s the OS what can I do to fix?

10. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

If you're only using a "server" to store files, then use a NAS instead. You eliminate all the unnecessary overhead of an operating system and just store files.

If you're printing large picture files on a cheap, consumer-grade printer, that's why you're seeing the delay. The printer probably doesn't have enough memory to buffer the file as it's being printed.

It sounds like you're running some kind of commercial setup. I would suggest upgrading your hardware.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1041692

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice