1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Network Help

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Lococard, Sep 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Lococard

Lococard Thread Starter

Ok, I got a Cable modem with Cable internet, Work computer, Games computer and a hub. Both computers are Windows XP and are running Norton Internet Security 2004 PRofessional.

I wanna know the ebst way to set up my network. Should i plug my cable modem into the Hub or should i plug the modem into the Work computer and connect through that?

Does anyone know any guides on my situation?

2. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

First off I would recommend getting a DSL/Cable router rather than a hub. It is much easier to share the Internet connection with one rather than using ICS. It servers as a reasonable firewall and also does not require one computer to always be on before the other can access the Internet.

Until you get the network functioning, uninstall (not just disable) any 3rd party firewall software and disable the built in one on XP.

Information on how to network XP can be found at:
    http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/xp_network.htm

3. Lococard

Lococard Thread Starter

Wouldnt that mean that i have no firewall at all if i disable them?

Also, how do i change a netowkr drive letter. Say, i am on PC1 and i want to access PC2's C: drive. Can i just type in z: or another letter to access the PS2 c:?

4. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Please read the post carefully:

"Until you get the network functioning, uninstall (not just disable) any 3rd party firewall software and disable the built in one on XP."

The important word is "Until". You can always add the firewall's back in after you get things working. But it is easy to misconfigure programs like NIS which will prevent network access. Until you get it working you don't know where the problem is.

Also the router functions as a decent firewall in itself.

5. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

To map a network drive, you need to share in on one computer and then with something like the Windows Explorer, browse to that computer's share in Network Places and map a drive letter to that share.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/276766

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice