Network Help

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

stephenp1983

I was trying to setup a network with my linksys wireless router for my desktop and my notebook. Notebook would be wireless and desktop would be wired. Got everything hooked up and everything worked except the internet, So I decide I'll just do it later and plug my desktop back directly into my modem. Now the internet on my desktop won't work. It says limited or no connectivity. Its receiving information but not sending any off. Any Idea How i can just get my desktop internet back.

TerryNet

Terry
Welcome, stephenp1983.

Always power cycle the modem when you change the device connected to it.

If you changed your computer's TCP/IP properties to connect to the router, change them back to the way they need to be with the modem. Since you haven't told us anything at all about your ISP or modem, etc., I cannot be more specific.

Terry

stephenp1983

Alright I got the pc hooked up to the router and the internet is fine on it. Now I'm trying to get the laptop on. I'm trying to configure it, but the linksys software keeps telling me that the laptop doesn't see the router and that I should reset the router to factory settings.

TerryNet

Terry
It sounds like you have a cable ISP; almost all cable ISPs use dynamic IP configurations (Dhcp). The following assumes that you indeed are using Dhcp to connect to the internet. If you are not sure, on the desktop go into Network Connections - right click on your ethernet connection - Properties - click once on Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) - Properties.
Make sure that it is saying to 'optain IP auto' and 'obtain DNS auto.'

If above is true (Dhcp) then your router should work with factory settings. Reset it to factory settings if you've changed anything. Locate the User Guide (probably on the CD or else find it on Linksys's web site).

With equipment off, connect modem to router's (WAN/Internet/Modem) port and one of the LAN ports to the desktop. Plug in modem, router, desktop in that order. I expect you to have a good connection to the router and internet.

Open a Command Window and type ipconfig /all
You should see that your computer was assigned an IP like 192.168.n.x and a Gateway IP of 192.168.n.1
That Gateway is your router's address. Type ping GatewayIPaddress
You should get back 4 responses. Type ping www.yahoo.com or some other Internet name. If you get back responses, you have internet; if you don't try a couple other ones.

Assuming we're still good, open your browser and in the address window type your router's address (192.168.whatever). Follow your manuals instructions for manual setup.

Recommended setup is to go to the wireless section, choose an SSID of your liking, and then try to connect the laptop. If success, go back to the router and enable WPA encryption with a 20+ character passphrase; and reconnect the laptop with the same passphrase.

This should give you internet on both computers.

stephenp1983

Everything is a success now, got the wireless up and secure, I decide to go with wep, because i couldn't get it to connect for some reason using the wpa. No big deal nothing on my computer than important anyway. I'll try setting up the print server tomorrow.

TerryNet

Terry
The SSID is the network name that will appear in available connections. With several networks around you may have to do some work to find a good signal for yourself. In the US Wi-Fi uses channels 1 through 11; it's best to use 1, 6 or 11, but you need to avoid interference from other networks. You may have to determine what channels those other networks are using, and how strong each signal is, and select your channel accordingly.

If your printer is "network ready" or you have a print server, you connect the printer (or printer server) to your network. Else the printer is physically connected to one computer, and that computer must be on for the other to print through it.

stephenp1983

Just wanted to say thanks for all your help, I guess I'll ask one more thing. I will be using a print server, so I should just install the printer drivers and the print server drivers on both computers and it should recognize it fine correct?

TerryNet

Terry
"... so I should just install the printer drivers and the print server drivers on both computers and it should recognize it fine correct?"

I have no idea. If you don't have instructions for the print server, maybe you can find some at the manufacturer's web site. Good luck.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online