1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Network Help

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by rossmission, Oct 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rossmission

rossmission Thread Starter

Need a bit of help

Iv just installed Kubuntu and am wanting to get the internet working on it but the network drivers arent installed

What drivers would i need to get the ethernet connection to work?

Iv got a toshiba disk with all my drivers on but there not for linux there for windows

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Good question. The "easy" answer used to be ndiswrapper. Most Linux distributions seem to work fine with most ethernet adapters, but if not then with ndiswrapper you can install the Windows XP driver (the .inf file) and it will often work. Kubuntu probably has or had a GUI front end for ndiswrapper.

There used to be lots and lots of information available. Now about all I can find is the link provided above and a news release that Linux has "denounced" ndiswrapper as something not really eligible for a GPL.

3. RootbeaR

RootbeaR

Does it not ask about connection during set-up?

Can you run it as a LiveCD and connect to internet?

4. rossmission

rossmission Thread Starter

Thanks for that

How do i install it on linux?

I havent got a clue about linux i just need it installed for uni work

Also someone else told me to type sudo dmesg | grep -i eth0

And then paste the results on the forum i was on but he hasent replyed back as of you

Can anyone tell me what this means?

[​IMG]

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/757791

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice