1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Network icon animation ???

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by abudahim, Jan 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. abudahim

abudahim Thread Starter

why the icon animation of the Internet (in the task bar) doesn't reflect the real traffic activity ?
    when i right clicked on the icon, i select "turn on activity animation" , it started to animate but it doesn't reflect the real internet traffic .
    thats an important issue for me, because sometimes i don't know whether the internet is down or not unless i see this icon .
    is there a solution ?

2. MMJ

MMJ Guest

I also found that annoying.

If when you turn on the activity animation still doesn't work then I don't know anything else you can try.

3. uhaligani

uhaligani Guest

That is curious. I presume we are all talking of the RTM? Mine is working. Hunting through the options, I see I have my "flow control" enabled on the adapter. Could that be the driving force behind the icon?

4. MMJ

MMJ Guest

can you post a picture of it? Vista has that excellent snippet program. :)

5. uhaligani

uhaligani Guest

A thought comes to mind. My animation is positive, but quite faint. Could it depend on what theme or background one is using for the desktop?
    In my attachment, the two panels intermittently flash whilst I am accessing anything on the web.
    P.S. I should add, as you probably know, that, until my internet connection is established, the panel has a yellow icon imposed on it. This also re-appears if I should lose the connection. So, for my useage, the fact that it has, or has not, animation, is not too important.

Attached Files:

6. abudahim

abudahim Thread Starter

this icon was very simple and usefull in XP .
    i don't know why Microsoft didn't implement it in Vista. i mean there is no reason you can think of that justified to Mirosoft to change the indication and functionality of this icon.(n)

7. MMJ

MMJ Guest

However the icon in XP was much more precise. If you were only sending data or receiving only one of the icon would light up.

Since i don't have Vista right know I can't figure out how precise it is when you do turn on animation.

===

Thanks for the pic. :)

8. uhaligani

uhaligani Guest

Just popped back into XP to have a look. It seems precisely the same ? as I said, it does not stand out so well but does flash one window for send, and another for receive.

9. imekul

imekul

I see this is nearly two years old, but I was wondering if anybody has ever figured out a way to get a real network activity icon in the system tray on Vista. This new one is no good! I wish it would accurately reflect the transmit/receive data, just like XP did.

10. abudahim

abudahim Thread Starter

11. imekul

imekul

It sure does! Thanks for the heads-up. That program works great, and it actually seems to be faster than the old XP animation, meaning that it looks like there is less lag in its updating. Very nice!

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/538055

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice