1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Network Icon in System Tray

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by JR1541, May 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JR1541

JR1541 Thread Starter

I'm connected wirelessly with no connection issues, but the system tray icon is the one for a LAN connection with a red x on it and not the wireless icon. I noticed if I flip the switch to turn of the networking adapter it reverts to a wireless icon but of course with no connection.

2. managed

managed Allan

You can use LanLights to get the animated icons back, it works in 7 with wireless, it shows you where to turn off the icon with the X on it at the website too :- http://www.paulmather.net/lanlight.asp

3. JR1541

JR1541 Thread Starter

Can you provice more assistance, please. This app seems to be geared to XP and I'm having trouble figuring out out tne steps necessry to fic my problem. Thanks.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

A word directed towards managed: As I understand it this is not the XP "problem" of the ethernet being flagged as unconnected (which can be turned off). This is the problem that several have reported where in Windows 7 the network icon includes a (false) X and sometimes the wrong symbol. Not saying that the utility you suggest will not fix it; just confused as JR1541 is, about whether it really does apply.

5. managed

managed Allan

Oh right, thanks for clarifying that TerryNet.

I was thinking you could turn 7's icon off completely and then use LanLights to get it's icon.
    I hadn't realised how different it was to turn it off in 7 compared to XP.

In 7 right click the Taskbar > Properties > Customize button, click the blue text 'Turn System icons on or off, click down arrow opposite Network and set it to Off, Ok, Ok

I have LanLites running in 7 and it works as shown here :- http://mintywhite.com/software-revi...shows-network-activity-windows-7-system-tray/

You can ignore the other things LanLights does and just run it to get the icon.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

Sweet, managed. Thanks! I'll give that a look myself a little later. :)

7. managed

managed Allan

Thanks TerryNet. :)

The animation is similar to the XP wired network icon.

8. JR1541

JR1541 Thread Starter

Followed your directions for turning the icon off, but not sure what I'm supposed to be doing with LanLights, I turned the icon back on and it was not correct.

9. managed

managed Allan

LanLights will give you a new icon for the wireless connection.

If you want that then click here to download the program :- http://www.paulmather.net/lanlights/setup/quicksetup.exe
    Run that and it will install LL and start it, use the dropdown arrow to select your wireless connection (might be there already) then click Options and click on Start with Windows then click the Hide button.

The Icon will be there each time you start 7.

10. JR1541

JR1541 Thread Starter

Thanks for the work-around, but I was hopeing for a way to fix the problem with the Wndows supplied icons. Thanks though,

11. managed

managed Allan

Yes fixing it in 7 would be better if that's what you want.

I installed LL because I missed the animation.

Good luck in finding a fix.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1052132