Network ICS Help

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

the_gould

Hello there

I have posted here a few times and no luck yet - i will explane my problem in detail.

I have Broad Band from BT (UK ISP ) on my system - i want it also on my bros system in a diffrent room. So i bought 2 Networking Cards and 10 m of crossover Cable - So they are installed fine. ( or to the best of my thoughs are installed fine ). I have a XP PRO SP2 on BOTH systems and BOTH systems see there is a connection and allow me to view files on BOTH systems but for some reason or another it wont allow the client machine to share the connection on the internet - i am almost 100% i have the ics connected properly but for some reason it still can not share the connection. I am using Zone Alarm System suite on the Main System ( the system hosting the adsl line ) and the network seems to be in the zone alarms firewall trusted zone - and still no connection - i tryed using microsoft support but they told me to contact manufacture - cant get a hold of them - i realy need help with this - i know it is prob something SO SO SO simple but i cant guess what.

Please help

David

ICS is too problematic and you will more than likely always have trouble with it. Why not just buy an inexpensive router and go from there?

Is your client PC set up correctly to use your ICS system as a proxy?

the_gould

i am not 100% sure that it is - is there any way of checking - How would the router solve my problems?

If you have a router you can have any number of local connections (they usually have 4 port switches) to the internet behind it. It is a lot easier to configure and will give you caf fewer headaches. Once it is set up you can connect as many PC's as the integrated switch will support.

the_gould

i am new to routers but i looked up a (BROADBAND 4 PORT ROUTER W/FIREWALL) if i get this what else do i have to get and how easy is it to get it on?
i just want to get this right cos i have bought so many things i am just making sure -
thanks

sorry i forgot to ask as well the modem i have does not have a ethernet port it just has the usb port and the line port will this make a diffrence

the_gould

IF anyone can help me in this matter to try to get ics working without having to buy more stuff - i am really deperate for help.

TerryNet

Terry
Does the second PC get an IP address assigned by the PC with the internet connection? If so, you probably have the ICS set up OK. You could always run the "set up a home and small office network" wizard being sure to answer the correct question correctly on each computer.

I don't know the specifics of the Zone Alarm firewall, but I suspect that you have to specifically allow the other computer TO ACCESS INTERNET; not just have it in the trusted zone. Look for such a setting before doing anything else.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts