1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Network/Internet access hangs after few hours

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by bigcheese53, Mar 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigcheese53

bigcheese53 Thread Starter

Hi all, I have been having a problem for the last few weeks on my PC. I typically use Google Chrome for browsing, but I also have Firefox installed. I rarely use IE but that seems to be affected as well. Basically, after I've been using the computer for a few hours, all network access seems to die until I restart my computer. Furthermore, I sometimes cannot terminate all of the chrome.exe processes (an access denied error pops up from the task manager), and once the network has died, Firefox will not run (the process does appear on task manager but no window opens). Other network-dependent services also fail. The router I am connected to is working throughout this as tested by another computer and WiFi devices. This problem goes away with a restart 100% of the time.

So far I have run scans with Security Essentials, Malwarebytes, and AVG. I was concerned there may have been a conflict between these so I have uninstalled AVG but the problem persists. Additionally, I have uninstalled Chrome and Firefox completely (using Revo) and reinstalled but the problem persists. Unfortunately my oldest System Restore point is only about a week old and the problem has been happening for longer than that. I have disabled all extensions in Chrome but the problem does not seem to be isolated to one browser.

I realize this is a bit disorganized, but please do feel free to ask for any clarifying information.

Thank you so much for any help, in advance.

Here is my system info:
    Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 26 Stepping 5
    Processor Count: 8
    RAM: 9207 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 220, 1024 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 597621 MB, Free - 184586 MB; D: Total - 12755 MB, Free - 2295 MB; G: Total - 953866 MB, Free - 321465 MB; J: Total - 953866 MB, Free - 89965 MB; N: Total - 1907726 MB, Free - 618964 MB;
    Motherboard: PEGATRON CORPORATION, TRUCKEE
    Antivirus: Microsoft Security Essentials, Updated and Enabled

2. BirdMaster

BirdMaster Banned

Make sure, your settings are correct.
    1. Go Start>Settings>Control Panel (Vista/7 users: Start>Control Panel)
    2. Double click Network Connections (Vista/7 users: Network and Sharing Center)
    3. Vista/7 users - From the list of tasks on the left, click Manage network connections.
    4. For a wired network connection, right-click Local Area Connection, and then select Properties.
    For a wireless network connection, right-click Wireless Network Connection, and then select Properties.
    5. From the General tab (Vista/7 users: Networking tab), click Internet Protocol version 4 (TCP/IPv4), make sure it is checked, and then click Properties
    6. Make sure Obtain an IP Address Automatically and Obtain DNS server address Automatically are checked.
    7. Click on "Advanced" button and make sure "IP Settings" tab looks like this:
    [​IMG]
    Make sure "DNS" tab looks like this:
    [​IMG]
    Make sure "WINS" tab looks like this:
    [​IMG]
    8. Still in Control Panel double click on "Internet options" then "Connections" tab then "LAN Settings" button. Make sure "Automatically detect settings" is checked.
    If you made any changes OK your way out.
    Restart computer.

If that doesn't work...
    Turn off computer. Disconnect router, and modem from power source for 1 minute. At the same time disconnect ethernet cable as well.
    Reconnect everything.
    Restart computer.

If that doesn't work, bypass router, and connect computer straight to the modem.

If that doesn't work...
    Go Start>Run (Start search in Vista), type in:
    cmd
    Click OK (in Vista and 7, while holding CTRL, and SHIFT, press Enter).

In Command Prompt window, type in following commands, and hit Enter after each one:
    ipconfig /flushdns
    ipconfig /registerdns
    ipconfig /release
    ipconfig /renew
    net stop "dns client"
    net start "dns client"

Restart computer.

If that doesn't work...
    Go Start>Run (Start search in Vista and 7), type in:
    cmd
    Click OK (in Vista and 7, while holding CTRL, and SHIFT, press Enter).

At Command Prompt, type in:
    netsh int ip reset reset.log
    Hit Enter.
    Type in:
    netsh winsock reset catalog
    Hit Enter.

Restart computer.

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Run the AVG Remover.

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Vista or 7.

Start - All Programs - Accessories and right click on Command Prompt, select "Run as Administrator" to open a command prompt.

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset IPv4 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log

Reset IPv6 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log

Reboot the machine.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1044788

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice