1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Network Internet on Non-Network PC

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by matt-h, Jul 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. matt-h

matt-h Thread Starter

hi, i am on work experience this week but unfortunately they have a lack of pc's at the mo so i have to bring my laptop in.
    my q is can i connect to the internet through their network? and how? without being part of the networl itself or making changes to my laptop (which is a xp home sp2)

2. mphair

mphair

um...if i understand correctly, you are going to a place that has internet and wondering if you can connect to their network?

if you can find a wired route than sure, shouldnt be a problem
    if its wireless you may need a security key to connect, and you will need to get that from the system administrator

3. matt-h

matt-h Thread Starter

they have a computer network that has internet access. i want to connect to the internet without doing anything to my pc.
    so if i were to just connect the phone or ethernet cable, can i just connect or do i have to be on the pc network
    unfortunataley there are no pc guys at this place, and the person who installs the pcs etc doesnt know if it is possible as he doesnt know enough.

4. mphair

mphair

do you know what type of internet access it is? dial up? cable? dsl? t1? with xp and non dialup you should just be able to plug your computer into the router and start browsing, unless they have static ips assigned. but if the "person who intalls pcs....doesnt know enough" then i would think he just plugged it in and started going with it.

5. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

You need to know something about this network setup. Someone at this place must know something or else they hire out their IT support and those people should know. You can try plugging a network cable into an open ethernet port and see what happens. If it works, great. If not, you have to find someone there to help.

Plugging into a phone jack won't help. That would mean you'd have to use a dial-up account, and it would either have to be your own dial-up ISP or the company's in which case someone there needs to give you the information on how to do that as well.

6. matt-h

matt-h Thread Starter

i plugged something into the LAN port, pc said a network cable was connected but connection status was poor and very slow, so slow that FF and IE both gave up on trying to load up google.
    oh well, they have a free pc for the rest of the week so i'll have to use that, although i'd prefer to use my own, so any help is still , er, helpful

7. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

It's pretty hard for people to help you since you know nothing about the network setup where you're trying to connect.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/482334

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice