Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Network is Dropping Devices connected to it

2K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  Cookiegal 
#1 ·
Namely my Computer (the one I am currently on) and my PS3. Here is the setup for both:

Windows XP (Yes, it's ancient) has some sort of Netgear USB drive that detects a network (or something like that) and that is connected to my Linksys router, which is connected to a computer in my Dad's room and an Arris Modem with Time Warner Cable as the provider. In order to repair the connection after it drops me (usually it doesn't say it drops me, but my internet won't open or display any pages) I right click the icon at the bottom right and click repair. That will do it until the next time it messes up, which is usually about a half hour or an hour or so. Already Power Cycled everything and I have tried resetting the router numerous times. Anything else you wish to know advise me of what you wish to know and how I can go about obtaining the desired information.

The PS3 is connected wirelessly and has flawless online while I am signed on. Randomly though, it will sign me out of the PSN (Playstation Network) and I will have to sign back in. This prevents me from doing serious online matches, as I will get booted out the moment I get signed out of the PSN. I am assuming it has to do with the network connection in general, because my computer disconnects usually at the same time.

Any insight on this matter would be appreciated. I love learning new things about computer, as one day I wish to be a tech guru of some sorts, so feel free to teach me other things as well :)

Microsoft(R) Windows DOS
(C)Copyright Microsoft Corp 1990-2001.

C:\DOCUME~1\ROBERT~1>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : rob
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : neo.rr.com

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection 3:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : neo.rr.com
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : NETGEAR WG111v2 54Mbps Wireless USB
2.0 Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-18-4D-CA-1A-B4
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.104
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 209.18.47.61
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, August 13, 2011 7:16:53 PM

Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, August 14, 2011 7:16:53 PM

C:\DOCUME~1\ROBERT~1>

See less See more
#4 ·
OK, wanted to make sure.

If that ipconfig /all is for a good connection please show for when you are having a problem.

If that is for when you are having a problem please show these test commands (when you have the problem):

ping 192.168.2.104

ping 192.168.2.1

ping 8.8.8.8

ping yahoo.com

#5 ·
This is when I am having a problem.

Microsoft(R) Windows DOS
(C)Copyright Microsoft Corp 1990-2001.

C:\DOCUME~1\ROBERT~1>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : rob
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : neo.rr.com

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection 3:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : neo.rr.com
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : NETGEAR WG111v2 54Mbps Wireless USB
2.0 Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-18-4D-CA-1A-B4
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.108
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 209.18.47.61
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Monday, August 15, 2011 10:34:15 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, August 16, 2011 10:34:15 PM

C:\DOCUME~1\ROBERT~1>ping 192.168.2.104

Pinging 192.168.2.104 with 32 bytes of data:

Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 192.168.2.104:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),

C:\DOCUME~1\ROBERT~1>ping 192.168.2.1

Pinging 192.168.2.1 with 32 bytes of data:

Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 192.168.2.1:

C:\DOCUME~1\ROBERT~1>ping 8.8.8.8

Pinging 8.8.8.8 with 32 bytes of data:

Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 8.8.8.8:

C:\DOCUME~1\ROBERT~1>ping yahoo.com
Ping request could not find host yahoo.com. Please check the name and try again.

C:\DOCUME~1\ROBERT~1>

#6 ·
Generally you would want to check your Arris modem, if the US/DS or Online is flashing, then that's on the ISP side. If they are solid, then the problem is on the router, which in this case is the problem as you are unable to ping the router.

Restart your router. When you are able to get online, look for a firmware update. I have a linksys that also had the same issue and was resolved with an update.

Worse case scenario, you will need to get a new router or if your ISP has them, return the modem for a wireless modem, that way they are responsible for it.

#7 ·
My modem is fine. My router just drops whatever is wirelessly connected to it every now and then (sometimes multiple times in a day, sometimes not for a few days, is in the above situation). Here's the odd thing though. There is a little icon at the bottom of my screen (will have a red x when internet not available, I right click and select repair and it works fine after), even though it should have an x over it (it used to actually) it doesn't. It still says my connection is good.

Also, Firmware is of the latest version. Just checked again.

#9 ·
So, when you are having the problem you still have a good IP configuration. The above ping of 192.168.2.104 is meaningless because your IP had changed to ...108. It would be good to know exactly what happens (during the problem time) for a ping to the actual IP address at that time.

The failure of the ping of the router (192.168.2.1) means that you have very little communication with the router at that time--just enough to still have an IP address. Often this is caused by a corrupted non-Windows firewall or security suite. If you have one, what is it?

Other possibilities include a corrupted or incorrect wireless driver or a defective wireless adapter. But since it seems to affect two devices the same way at the same time I more suspect the router or wireless interference.

So we can check for possible other wireless networks please attach a screen shot of the Networks page of the Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector (for when the problem has occured). Other devices, such as a 2.4 GHz cordless phone or baby monitor, could also be interfering, but will not show on the Xirrus output.

If it's the router getting flaky about the only thing you can do is to make sure it has the latest firmware; then reset it to factory default settings and reconfigure it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.