1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Network is preventing sleep

Discussion in 'General Security' started by Automaton539, Apr 18, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Automaton539

Automaton539 Thread Starter

OK, so, I know I posted in security, but I feel it may be a security issue, feel free to move it if you wish.

As of last night every time I tell my computer to sleep it wakes up within a minute or two and after unplugging all my wires one by one to test what it was that was affecting the sleep it was when I finally removed my network cable that it didn't instantly/within moments wake back up. Now, I'm using Avast free and Windows defender for my AV + firewall respectively, a team my mate has been running for years with no problems.

Currently doing a full virus scan with my cable unplugged, but any ideas exactly why my network cable would be preventing sleep, other than someone remotely accessing it and giving a wakeup input?

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

If you were remotely controlled, an AV will not find it. a) hacker test their tools to ensure that no common AV is going to detect them b) some remote control tools are legit, and thus AV's don't flag them; if the hacker is using those.

3. Automaton539

Also just to add, I tested it without the cable and it stayed asleep for almost 5 minutes (this was longer than it has managed so far) but then as soon as I plugged it back in it's waking within moments again.

And yea, I figured it wouldn't find anything, but figured best to try it anyway as well as post here.

4. lunarlander

lunarlander

Any other symptoms besides the wakefulness? Things changing on their own/by somebody?

5. Automaton539

Nothing that I can see.

6. lunarlander

lunarlander

I always have a backup disk image. Very handy things, 5 mins and you're back up and running again. If you suspect anything then it's too late to make one now, cause you'll be backing up their tools as well. But after you do a clean install, before you go online and activate windows, make a drive image. I use the free Macrium Reflect. A fresh install together with security software of the C drive takes around 9 GB - which would fit on a usb memory stick.

7. Automaton539

Well, it's not *exactly* that I specifically think I've been hacked, I just couldn't think of anything besides remote activation that would cause LAN to wake, but after looking into it, mostly getting results of how to turn off the device's ability to wake, and taking to my mate, I understand that some programs receiving network data while asleep can also wake it, even though if you ask me the LAN aught to be disabled in sleep by default and only on if you want it. I tried to run a cmd I read about "powercfg -lastwake" but although a dialogue box popped up, it disappeared without telling me what woke it and same with "powercfg - device query wakeup" (that one might me slightly wrong, trying to remember, had to go out so not sure if that was it exactly, but I'm sure you probably know what I mean anyway) to check what devices are set to allow wake from sleep, but again nothing.

8. lunarlander

lunarlander

Also check the bios to disable wake on lan. Then you would know if the computer awoke from outside calling in, or from the inside calling out.

If you have a router firewall that has logs, with logging turned on for Allows and Blocks; then you can check where the traffic went to.

9. Automaton539

Wouldn't "Device manager > network adapter > options > allow the device to wake" so the same thing?

Saves me going into the bios. I mean, I'm handy with a computer, but even I don't like going into bios unless I don't have a choice.

10. lunarlander

lunarlander

I always think of bios and windows as separate layers. Sure, windows talks to bios, but I think bios controls it at the root.

11. Automaton539

OK, so after a brief period of being completely shut down I tested it again with the ether net in and it instantly woke, then I disabled the allow to wake in device manager and tested and it stayed asleep for about 10 minutes before I woke it myself.
    I think it was to do with the "my.com" gaming platform as I've only recently added it to my computer and it's been wanting to update sky forge since sometime yesterday, maybe Tuesday. So I'm thinking it was that that was getting in the way of good sleep mode for my pc.

Not gonna hold my breath just yet, but hopefully it's sorted.

12. lunarlander

lunarlander

Good to know you have found a possible cause.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1225932

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice